.308 in France

1° Armes à feu camouflées sous la forme d'un autre objet

Oh dear! This EU nonsense though is still extant. Too much watching "Bottes en Cuir et Melon Chapeau" on France 4 I think. This fear of hordes of British gents invading Calais with .410 shot guns disguised as walking sticks and the (real) fear of Eastern Europeans with mobile 'phone .22RF pistols.

Hi Mate,
I did get a work around for this problem a few years ago and its worth a go if you have any grief from the french, I don't have the paperwork in front of me so am digging deep into my elderly failing memory, but the gist is.
Many Police /Customs don't really know what the euro laws are and have stated to me that military calibre's aren't allowed.....they are. The detail that you need to chase is within the Vienna Convention, this is a Euro wide agreement for any shooter who owns a firearm licence. If you are not staying in another country for not longer than 3 months ( I think) the host nation will honour the calibre's conditions etc as prescribed on your own FAC plus euro licence. If you stay longer, then you need to import and you are then subject to the host nation laws.
That is it in a nutshell so best of luck.

The .308w and .30-06 have never been banned in France DK.260 they were however until fairly recently not permitted for hunting. Don't forget that there are two totally different licensing systems one for hunting ( permis de chasser) and one for target shooting (permis de tir).

Last edited:
Just the same I think if I'm ever able to hunt the south of France I'm gonna carry a Mannlicher Schoenauer 61MCA carbine in 270 WIN . That way if they happen to have a sudden relapse it isn't a problem to me !

Sudden relapse - France :rofl: The French don't do anything in a hurry.
It took them probably ten years from thinking about it to actually making the last changes in their hunting laws that allows the use of .308w and .30-06. Though to be fair the British took probably longer to change their laws so as to allow .222rem for smaller deer in E&W and even then they got it wrong and excluded roe.:cuckoo:

I was under the impression that for some weird reason the 6.5 x 55 was still banned in France.

David.

Yes, there was some confusion and vagueness in the regulation initially, but they've since clarified it to essentially say that all calibres are legal for hunting except for the very specific ones that are banned, and they're pretty much all dedicated current military rounds. There is still a maximum number of rounds you can hold for .30-06 etc, but given that I think it's a thousand, most people should be fine...

Back