Hornady Superformance .243 75gn SST

prohunter78

As some of you have may already read, Hornady will be producing the above load in .243 as of 2015. They should be a very good fox/roe crossover load for those of us who like lighter ballistic tipped bullets.

PH

Edit: Possibly available now!

Last edited:
As some of you have may already read, Hornady will be producing the above load in .243 as of 2015. They should be a very good fox/roe crossover load for those of us who like lighter ballistic tipped bullets.

PH

Edit: Possibly available now!
:) Great rounds....95's shoot sub inch at 100yds in my Howa Varmint, I reload 165's in my Sako 308win with similar accuracy too... all we need is a .224 variant and i'll be laughing...:rofl:

hi are the sst range ballistic tip or not some one said to me that they were not, well that thet did not react the same way as a ballistic tip such as meat damage for deer any ideas thanks

The 95 grain sst is one of the best .243 deer bullets around, yes they can do a bit of meat damage, but boy do they put deer on the ground, FAST.

The .243 95 gr SST's didn't group quite as well as 80 gr soft points out of my rifle. Got a few box's of the 75gr to try, will report back after some testing on paper then fox and deer.

Well there very good on paper, 3/4" groups which will do me very nicely, so re zeroed 1/2" high at 110 yds. Hope to get out a few times in the next week so will post my findings.

SST= Super Shock Tip... controlled expansion not ballistic perfect for deer. :)

http://www.hornady.com/store/SST-bullets

The marketing people can re brand it all they like

it IS a ballistic tip and is NOT the same as an Interlock with a nipple
even Hornady's own literature calls it rapid expansion

Bullets - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

[h=4]SST® (Super Shock Tip)[/h]Streamlined for ultra-flat trajectories our SST contains a polymer tip for rapid expansion

[h=4]InterLock® (RN, SP, SP-RP, FP, HP)[/h]The aerodynamic secant ogive of the Hornady InterLock® delivers flat trajectories and great accuracy. It's tapered jacket allows for deep penetration and controlled expansion while the InterLock ring locks core and jacket together.

I do my mincing at home

The polymer tip is constructed differently from the ballistic tip (shorter) and they show a loverly mushroomed bullet next to it to represent the result of use on a beast, not a fragmented mass of shards! shurely they have done lots of ballistic gel testing at least.

sst hornady - Google Search

the bullets in the nice pictures might look like little mushrooms....

but if turned up to my butcher with any one of the numerous carcases pictured with SST "holes" in them he would give me
a) half the price
b) verbal abuse

VMax, AMax and SST not necessarily in that order
thicker jacket is all that separates them

H_V-Max_flat.jpg

SST-Bullet-Cutaway.jpg

bul_a-max_cut.jpg

Looking to get onto a Muntjac next week I hope. If I can, I will get some pics of carcase damage and put them up hear, good or bad.

sst hornady - Google Search

the bullets in the nice pictures might look like little mushrooms....

but if turned up to my butcher with any one of the numerous carcases pictured with SST "holes" in them he would give me
a) half the price
b) verbal abuse

VMax, AMax and SST not necessarily in that order
thicker jacket is all that separates them

H_V-Max_flat.jpg

SST-Bullet-Cutaway.jpg

bul_a-max_cut.jpg

The marketing people can re brand it all they like

it IS a ballistic tip and is NOT the same as an Interlock with a nipple
even Hornady's own literature calls it rapid expansion

Bullets - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

SST® (Super Shock Tip)

Streamlined for ultra-flat trajectories our SST contains a polymer tip for rapid expansion

InterLock® (RN, SP, SP-RP, FP, HP)

The aerodynamic secant ogive of the Hornady InterLock® delivers flat trajectories and great accuracy. It's tapered jacket allows for deep penetration and controlled expansion while the InterLock ring locks core and jacket together.

I do my mincing at home

According to the Hornady website, the SST is an interlock design (unlike A-Max and V-Max) and the ballistic tip does not extend as far into the core, nor does it have such a pronounced air gap as Vmax. So, the SST has a thicker jacket, is interlocked, has a different tip design and carries a crimp groove... Apart from the colour of the tip it has little in common with V-max, does it?

They also say "the polymer tip initiates controlled expansion". But then they can say whatever they want, as you pointed out...

"Polymer Tip:
The sleek polymer tip increases the ballistic coefficient, making it more efficient. Upon impact, the tip also initiates controlled expansion.
Secant Ogive, Boattail Profile
It’s a fact: bullets that travel faster hit harder. The Hornady® secant ogive gives hunters the speed, ballistic efficiency and downrange energy they’re looking for.
Cannelure
Provides accurate and consistent crimping, and also works with the InterLock® ring to control expansion.
Interlock® Ring
Ensures the core and jacket remain locked solid during expansion, so the SST® retains the mass and energy needed for dramatic wound channels."

I'm not trying to convert anyone to SST and I wouldn't want you to get abused by your butcher! However, in the interest of balance, I posted to say that I am happy with the performance of the 95gr (haven't used 75gr) in .243 when compared to SP 100gr bullets I was using before. In my gun they are more accurate, as a bonus.

I am toying with the idea of getting some SST's for my .243 How do people find the damage done? Do they make a 'mess'?

I can't speak for deer yet as I haven't been using them for long but 4 out of 5 foxes I had trouble finding entry or exit holes (smalle body mass so less to no expansion?) and one i hit in the shoulder/spine which took off pretty much the other half of the fox.

I've also gone onto these with my .243. Mixed feelings about them so far. Sometimes they make a serious mess, sometimes they don't seem to do much damage at all.. I've also had a couple of foxes get away (although hit) .

Back