"Fair Game"

You CAN view this in England/Wales......

Thanks for bringing this up on here! Just checked (we have sky) and you can watch BBC 2 Scotland on channel 990. BBC2 may also be viewable on freeview but I don't know! Lets hope it is a good 'fair' game!

given the bias usually shown by the BBC i expect it will be the normal lets bash every-one else and ignore the real truth,we will wait and see

as i thought lets all blame the gamekeepers as usual

As I thought too. But then we all know this is quite an honest reflection on what happens, we just like to deny it to the outside world.

Grouse moors and predators increase at the same rate and with the insistence that grouse shooters must shoot huge bags illegal persecution of our wildlife will continue and it is this that harms all shooters.

BASC talked of disaffiliating themselves from the uplands a few years ago and I must agree. How can any shooter justify illegally killing wildlife?

Down south in my area of the world we have high rates of TB. How many times farmers have asked me to shoot the badgers because of TB, but do I, NO. These upland keepers attitudes are unforgivable. Its about money and not about the future of shooting sports.

funny how there is no mention of the eagle owls that eat hen harriers off the nests,at least they are trying to say that the money raised through tourism benefits the area,nice scenery tho

Of what that could have been I thought that was much closer to a balanced view than I was expecting, everyone got their say, possibly too much RSPB...

The scientist suggesting diversionary feeding being branded a Judas by the RSPB lobby did portray them as a fairly loony mob. Given the normal left wing anarchist nature of the BBC I would give that 7/10

Standing by for incoming!!... anyone else agree?

A not a single mention of the pigeon racing fraternity which around the Central Scotland area are the real culprits...
Mike Yardley is a great ambassador for us but they wheel him out as he comes over as a gun-tottin Toff to the non believers?
We had an accusation of a Red-Kite poisoning but no carcass or case was ever produced. I have never seen on within 4 miles of my ground and i DO believe it was a twitcher rumour and for weeks later the estate was moving with the sad buggers.

Also no mention that most raptor species (apart from kestral i think) numbers are at the highest number in living memory and rising (considering many farmland/song bird species are in freefall). Also that around 50 goldens were translocated to ireland, then they wonder why eagles aren't doing as well as they should. It balanced up a wee bit but very leading or misleading. Wonder why BASC or SGA or even GWCT weren't involved

Also quite ironic that the 2 'model estates' mar lodge and abernethy are both reguardedas complete failures

Mar lodge as been mentioned on here numerous times slaughtering large no's of deer for little/neglible regen
Abernethy where by all accounts has little black cock or caper left and is a sink for nieghbouring sporting estates birds

I cannot remeber wot the original langholm moor was like when it was a viable grouse moor but it also used to carry around 4 pair of harrier which generally fedged young each year. I do know it after the 26 pair ate everything they could and left it totally barren with very little bird life, funnily enough harriers numbers returned to the original 4 pair which didnae always fledge and 5 keepers lost there jobs as well as the loss of revinue to local businesses. I know wot i prefer, dinae be to quick to jump on the band wagon.

Also no mention that most raptor species (apart from kestral i think) numbers are at the highest number in living memory and rising (considering many farmland/song bird species are in freefall). Also that around 50 goldens were translocated to ireland, then they wonder why eagles aren't doing as well as they should. It balanced up a wee bit but very leading or misleading. Wonder why BASC or SGA or even GWCT weren't involved

Also quite ironic that the 2 'model estates' mar lodge and abernethy are both reguardedas complete failures

Mar lodge as been mentioned on here numerous times slaughtering large no's of deer for little/neglible regen
Abernethy where by all accounts has little black cock or caper left and is a sink for nieghbouring sporting estates birds

I cannot remeber wot the original langholm moor was like when it was a viable grouse moor but it also used to carry around 4 pair of harrier which generally fedged young each year. I do know it after the 26 pair ate everything they could and left it totally barren with very little bird life, funnily enough harriers numbers returned to the original 4 pair which didnae always fledge and 5 keepers lost there jobs as well as the loss of revinue to local businesses. I know wot i prefer, dinae be to quick to jump on the band wagon.

Just a fact, Abernethy have nearly 100 lekking Blackcock, Caper numbers are fluctuating but it still has the highest density/ number in the country and the Maylers [ex owners] have a 5yr walked up average of 189 brace.

Peter Fraser is the vice Chair of the SGA

I thought there were some inaccuracies ,but it wasn't too bad.

Duncan Orr-Ewing did get a fair bit of air time , but did hit the nail in the head, as I have shouted before, it's not the keepers who are driving this, it's the spineless owners and greedy clients!

Jamie Williamson was excellent and as always , a great ambasador.

Davie Dick, Dick by name , **** by nature!

No doubt this will stir things up, but I didn't see anything beyond the truth, a small minority are f****** it up for us

Morning bambislayer,

Aplologies to the estate but I thought that the abernethy estate was now owned and ran by the rspb as a reserve mainly for caper and black game and that they are using the usual rspb management plan of zero or minimal predator control and the numbers were falling fairly rapidly. I thought i had read a few articles about it recently or i have mibee picked up the wrong end of the stick?

By the way ur rite about a certain ex rspb boy lives fairly local and now can often be found wandering where he shouldnae be often round pens, we have had him staking out pens in the past

Sorry a bit hasty posting my thread,I see Private Fraser has put on a link (sorry Charlie).

I don't think the guy Mike Yardley did us any favours.

I thought the mention of Mar Lodge was a bit rich saying that they could run in harmony Raptors and Grouse at the same time. God how much money has that estate cost the Public no other estate gets that much public money poured into it and it still failed on all fronts. It is time that Raptors were looked at in some cases as a threat to our Natural heritage. Then the keepers could get huge grants and shoot them while makeing money just like the deer. If there is to many its time to address the balance not shut the grouse moors.

Last edited:
Back