Advice: Fox on rented land

mdc48

I rent a small field with barn for my chickens. The fox has come visiting today. Can I shoot it (as the tenant) or do I have to get permission from the owner? It's only my neighbour so it's not too much trouble but I want to kill the f**ker tonight as I am displeased.

Thanks.

Guess that's the neighbour then - have to chat to him tomorrow. I thought there might be some sort of allowance for tenants when their livestock are getting nailed. Cheers anyway!

Charlie lives for one more night.

Depends, on the terms of your tenancy, Game and Deer would probably be under the control of the landlord but not foxes, but why not just check with him and then get even, good luck, W.S.

Cheers - don't know why I didn't think of asking him this before. It's a very informal arrangement but I don't want to go breaking any laws!

I'm sure u'll be fine but there is some very strange tennancy agreements and sporting lleases around (if small acres and informal will not be an issue).
I tendered for 1 shooting lease where foxes and rabbits where included in the sporting lease, never seen that before and didnae actually think it was legal thought farmers had the right to control vermin

Good luck anyhow, i have heard from four people having smilar visits this past week are you sure its charlie? as badgers have also been in the frame, one actualy being found in the shed with 5 dead birds, now theres a problem!

God I hope it's not a badger, if it is then I really do have a problem, you're right... There is a sett in the wood on the hillside above us, maybe 300 metres away or so. However, in between that and the field is an area of steep rough ground covered in bramble bush thickets, lots of rabbit holes. Perfect fox country really... (I say, hopefully!)

"shooting rights"and vermin control are not the same a -person who rents is the tenant or anyone appointed by the tenant with the correct conditions in place is duty bound to control "vermin" as they see fit to prevent damage to crops/livestock etc.thats not the actual legal jargon but in laymans terms.
dsmoke;959847]You need permission from whoever holds the shooting rights :thumb:[/QUOTE]

"shooting rights"and vermin control are not the same a -person who rents is the tenant or anyone appointed by the tenant with the correct conditions in place is duty bound to control "vermin" as they see fit to prevent damage to crops/livestock etc.thats not the actual legal jargon but in laymans terms.

Nice one - I chatted to the landlord and he was happy with me to do whatever I wanted. The troublesome neighbour did indeed turn out to be red rather than black and white, and will be troubling the hens no more :D

Back