8x56 vs 6x42

Same exit pupil size of 7mm (objective/magnification) so nothing between them in terms of low light. 6x42 - probably bit more versitile for closer range stuff, and lower mag will give less shake. Still has a good wide field of view, and is lighter and can be mounted quite a bit lower than 8 x56. If you are mixed shooting, go for 6, if all will be foxes or hill shooting at longer range off bipod then 8 may be a better bet.

I really believe that the old 'exit pupil' theory has had its day as a method of compaing modern optics. Quality of glass and coatings make such a difference. In practical terms, either of these formats are fine for everyday stalking, personally, I think that an 8x56 is a fairly big lump to carry around, if I was prepared to carry that then I would want the benefits of a higher mag variable. To nail my colours to the mast, I would always go for a variable somewhere around 3-12 or 4-14 with a 40mm-50mm objective and go with quality every time. If budgets mean you have to compremise then keep the quality and reduce the spec which brings you back to a 8x50/56 or 6x42! JC

a decent 8x56 on a decent rifle will nail everything out to 300y, if you can do it. you would be pushing it with a 6x42 in my opinion. but if youre one of those stalkers that thinks its all about getting in close a 6x42 is ideal, i have one on my rimmy because that wont shoot out to 300y!

a decent 8x56 on a decent rifle will nail everything out to 300y, if you can do it. you would be pushing it with a 6x42 in my opinion. but if youre one of those stalkers that thinks its all about getting in close a 6x42 is ideal, i have one on my rimmy because that wont shoot out to 300y!
pretty much agree with this. I was looking at a fox the other night through my 6x42 at approx 300 yds and recon i had plenty mag to make an accurate shot. i didnt take the shot as i havnt done enough with this rifle and load to know my trajectories at this range i also didnt have range finder on me. i have to say im drawn towards the lower numbers for magnification, sub 10.
Anyone compared an identical quality scope in 6x42 and 8x56 at failing light does the 56 give you extra time?

300yds with a 6x42 is probably not an issue, but the problem is the bullet drop, and unless you have a quality BDC installed (which is unlikely on 6x42), on a fox, you'd need to take POA well in the air above it's back.

If I took a shot at a fox at 300yds with my .243 and 100g norma sp, I would need to aim 14.5" above my POI, and say with 10mph full value cross-wind, another 12.6" right/left. all in all, I'd need to aim somewhere randomly in front/behind and over the fox in the air.

So to summarise, my max range, even though I can shoot much further, is 225yds for a roe/red, as my aim is still on the top/back of the deers body, so there's no question about guess-work with holdovers. and for fox, max range would be 200yds, as 3.6" drop, meaning a back-line hold.

just my opinion.

Back