Beaver on TV.

Just watching Springwatch and wondering how long it will be before I have trophy beaver :)

How are they measured?:confused:
Weight?
Length?
Diameter at various depths?!:eek:
Volume?!:eek:

I've seen a few perruque's, but that was more acceptable back in the 70's/80's!:lol:
They seem to be either completely cast or in velvet these days!:D
MS:)

I have some experience of the Mortimer Forest subspecies of long haired beaver, but they seem to have been to confined to Germany

One of 3 Beaver I shot in Sweden some years ago with wood-chips as chewed by them.
We hunted them three different ways, by canoe, by sitting up near a Beaver `lodge`and by stalking the streams and lake edges.

HWH.
[ Picture to follow.]

Beaver scull and chips.
[ .243 and .270 bullets for size comparison. ]

BUGGYCROWS046-1.jpg

One of 3 Beaver I shot in Sweden some years ago with wood-chips as chewed by them.
We hunted them three different ways, by canoe, by sitting up near a Beaver `lodge`and by stalking the streams and lake edges.

HWH.
[ Picture to follow.]
Back before i was married i use to hunt beaver right accross the UK and abroard and still have the mental scar's to prove it.They can be hard to track down and catch i hear that rippnol work's the best for getting you beaver:rolleyes: nowadays .They can sometimes be a bit smelly but they do taste good but since i got married i have not tried it that much:lol:.
I am told that a bald beaver is a sight to behold!! as well

Last edited:
The older ones don't taste so good as the youngsters do they Bob :D and the smell isn't the same either :D
I used to hunt them quite regularly when I was younger and single but now it's out of the question, I don't have the time and once you get married that sort of thing is only when there is a blue moon or is it copious quantities of Blue Nun :D

Intriguing creatures indeed!
We seem to have a few on here that have hunted them.
I'm curious as to 'shot reaction'.:rolleyes:
Most I've shot seem to twitch a little and then dribble, although some have susequently farted quite loudly - which frightened me at first, but everafter left me with air of anticipation!:cool:
I've heard that the Mortimer Forest subspecies of long haired beaver (which seem to have been to confined to Germany) even demand payment upon being shot!:-|
Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Any other unusual shot reactions encountered?
MS:)

BEAVER
A 90 year old man is having his annual check-up. The doctor asks him how he is doing. "I've never been better!" he replies. "I have an 18 year old bride who is pregnant with my child! What do you think about that?" The doctor considers this for a moment and then says: "Well, let me tell you a story: I know a guy who is an avid hunter. He never misses a season. But one day, he is in a bit of a hurry and he accidentally grabs his umbrella instead of his gun. So, he walks in the woods near a creek and he spots a beaver in some brush in front of him. He raises up his umbrella, points it at the beaver and squeezes the handle. *BAM*, the beaver drops dead in front of him. "That's impossible!", says the old man in disbelief. "Someone else must have shot that beaver!" "Exactly!"

Measured the same way as horses in hands,two hands would be a fair specimen anything bigger wouldn't be worth wasting a load on,bound to be old chewy and a bit smelly.:eek:

I have always thought that a Beaver was a furry mammal that feeds off wood.
It would appear that some others on this site have a wider vocabulary than myself.

I have consulted the `net` and find that it is another word for Vagina or pussy and there are 48 more rude names for this pleasureable female organ.
This is not an edifying spectacle for a respectable deerstalking site.

HWH.

I have always thought that a Beaver was a furry mammal that feeds off wood.
It would appear that some others on this site have a wider vocabulary than myself.

I have consulted the `net` and find that it is another word for Vagina or pussy and there are 48 more rude names for this pleasureable female organ.
This is not an edifying spectacle for a respectable deerstalking site.

HWH.
That's what i thought HWH,and i thought a pussy was a small furry mammal that ate tins of meat and song birds.:-|

That's what i thought HWH,and i thought a pussy was a small furry mammal that ate tins of meat and song birds.:-|

Very true, but don`t forget the Meeces and Tweetie-pie the canary.
`I tort I taw a puddy-cat acweeping up on me, I`m sure I taw a puddy-cat as plain as he could be.`

Oh for the return of Tom and Jerry and some good clean fun.

HWH.

Back