Help with scope mounting

SimpleSimon

Hi all,
Been at the range today with my new favourite toy, a BSA CF2 in .270. What should have been a reasonably simple sighting in procedure for the scope I put on the rifle turned into an epic test of patience which resulted in the realisation that
A. I'm a muppet who at some point during the process probably adjusted the reticule the wrong way.
and worse, B. The scope mounts I got with the rifle are crap. As we scratched our heads over the cause of my wandering POI it became obvious. The front ring had slid forward on the base and dragged the scope with it through the rear ring.
So, I'm looking now for either a fix, or preferably a better alternative. I don't know much about this, but my brother in law reckons they're Parker Hale mounts. I don't know what the rings are, and as I said the rifle is a BSA CF2 .270 which I believe has a long action.
Any suggestions. Ideally I'd like not to spend a fortune. Before anyone asks, yes I have tried tightening all the screws. Although that in itself was a pain as they seem to be a totally non standard hex key, so I had to improvise with a Torx bit :doh:
Thanks in advance! :tiphat:

An inexpensive solution which will permit easy changing between severa scopes is a Weaver #98 one-piece slot rail and Burris Zee rings. The Zee has no loose clamping piece; it is one block of steel, with a notch which bends a bit during tightening.

If you have a really heavy scope, mounted high, which puts more torsion about the rings during recoil, you might want a wider based ring, like the Warne. But I use the Weaver bases with Burris Zee on a .280 Remington - absolutely solid.

Last edited:
Thanks Southern.
I'm sorted now, apparently Remington 700 bases fit the CF2, so I've measured up and ordered a one piece DNZ mount with 30% off. Bonus!

I use Leupold STD bases and Leupold STD or Burris rings on both my CF2s - I hate one piece bases because they get in the way of the loading port when slotting in those big .270W rounds, especially when I have gloves on, plus the Leupold STD rings and bases look aesthetically right too, being uncluttered and sitting the scope 1-2mm tight to the barrel.

Adam.

I always thought the CF2 was a pretty rifle. Almost bought one before I got my Abolt, as it happens. Any chance of a pic of yours?

I use Leupold STD bases and Leupold STD or Burris rings on both my CF2s - I hate one piece bases because they get in the way of the loading port when slotting in those big .270W rounds, especially when I have gloves on, plus the Leupold STD rings and bases look aesthetically right too, being uncluttered and sitting the scope 1-2mm tight to the barrel.

Adam.

I must admit I hadn't really considered the interference with the loading, but I.guess it's a small inconvenience as I'll only really be loading once per outing.

Here's a pic as requested. lovely looking wooden stock, I think.
DSC_0722.jpg

The DNZ mount arrived yesterday. Disappointed that they contacted me after the order to say the medium were ouroof stock, so I had to go for high. However, my butler creek covers can now go back on.
Otherwise it looks a real quality made bit of kit, and it's shaped slightly to ease feeding the magazine. Went on no hassle, so hopefully that's problem solved!

That's a tidy looking rifle Simon. Good caliber and will do the job just fine. I do like the old classic style. Make sure your butler cover is not fouling on the rear sight. Probably just the angle of the picture but looks mighty close.
Have fun. Next thing is not to get caught up shooting loads of rounds of that nice bench aiming for clover leaf groups. Get up on the sticks and try to get good consistent groups.

Next thing is not to get caught up shooting loads of rounds of that nice bench aiming for clover leaf groups. Get up on the sticks and try to get good consistent groups.

Looked more like I'd patterned a shotgun last time with the scope moving around all over the place! But yes, my plan now is to get it sighted in and then practice, practice practice off the sticks and sitting. More to build confidence and consistency than anything else.

No probs, I sat and waited for you phone call yesterday afternoon about coming for a walk round then realised that the Simon who text me was another Simon after rabbits

Back