Recommended Reading

Dakaras

Sorry if this has been done before:oops: Ive done a few searchs but either come up with a load of threads or reloading:lol:

Other than the DSC 1 Manual what other reading would you folks recomend ?

Ive Roe, Muntjac resident and some Fallow that visit on the ground im taking on, Im looking for some reading to keep me going when I cant be out spotting etc.

Currently sat on the shelf are

Deer of Britain and Ireland - Peter Carne
The Deer Stalking Handbook - Graham Downing
Muntjac - Managing an Alien Species - Charles Smith-Jones
Roe Deer - Management and Stalking - Richard Prior

And on the way

Deer Managers Companion by R Putman & J Langbein

I was wondering what other reads were out there Species specific? Also get most of my reading from Ebay / forums.

Thanks in advance Dak

The most practical book /folder you'll get is from the DCS/DI the best practice guide both are more or less the same guide with the various changes appertaining to the country and it laws, seasons, type of species etc. from the DCS by post it is £15.00 to collect from any of the offices it is £7.50 it is a top quality publication most that have them will verify that .

These guides offers all the current information on :

Deer ecology behavior .
deer health & welfare .
Planning .
Firearms.
Culling.
Carcass Preparation.
Habitat impact assessment .
Crop& Habitat Protection People & resources .
Various guides and forms

The most practical book /folder you'll get is from the DCS/DI the best practice guide both are more or less the same guide with the various changes appertaining to the country and it laws, seasons, type of species etc. from the DCS by post it is £15.00 to collect from any of the offices it is £7.50 it is a top quality publication most that have them will verify that .

+ 1 for the Best Practice Guide.

The DI England/Wales version costs £25, so unless you can't work out the different seasons or don't particularly want the extra DCS stuff then you can save yourself a tenner by ordering the DCSBPG.

Not compelling reading but yes the DCS BP guide will give you the facts. Roe deer stalking by Henry Tegner was one of my favourite. He was a die hard roe deer man and he was dogmatic in his pursuit of trophy roe deer.

If you want something "lighter", I'd recommend A year in the Woods by Colin Elford. Very nicely written.

Andrew

Back