Leapers 30mm QD Mounts

EMcC

Has anybody had any experience of mounts called Leapers.
I was after a qd mount in a bit of a hurry the other day and found them on E bay.
They are marketed in UK by a company called Tactical Scopes who operate out of Aylesford in Kent.
At £27.50 a set I took a punt and was more than pleasantly surprised by the quality.
They appear to be made out of some sort of alloy and are made in China.
I mounted my Swaro scope on my 30-06 and have so far used it for a zeroing session and shot a Buck already without any movement or signs of movement.
I have a set of Warne mounts which I have always favoured and I expected the Leapers to be just a short term thing to get my Maral shot in but after such a pleasant surprise I am inclined to keep the cheap mounts in place until something happens.
Has anybody else had any experience of these and if so, can I expect them to fall to pieces any time now ?

I have a Leapers scope that came with special mounts. I was told that the scope was supposed to be very good value for money but frankly while it is O.K. for a .22 I don't really rate it despite glowing reports on some of the U.S. shooting forums. Incidentally I had to remove some of the heavy ribbed rubber casing that the scope is covered with the other day and underneath the scope was marked as a Tasco made in China.

What size Warne rings are you looking for Eddi. I have a couple of sets of quick release rings that I am thinking of changing in the near future. At the moment I am just considering it so don't hold me to it.

They started as an American marrketing company with accessories for the SKS and MAK-90.
Mfg in China. Now they have moved a lot of the metal products mfg to the USA.

Another good QR ring I just found is the Weaver, in 1 inch and 30 mm.

The Chinese can do precision manufacturing quite well,they need to do better quality control though. The scope ring market is pretty big so it would be worth their while.
Look out Leupold, Warne etc etc.
I see even Zeiss do a model of binoculars made in China.

PS..just noticed in the above post that manufacturing has been moved to the USA.
That's a drift in a different direction.

Southern... does the "law enforcement grade" description mean anything or is it just advertising hype?.

Last edited:
That's exactly the same ones and I have http://www.tacticalscope.co.uk/leap...aver-mounts-low-30mm-scope-rq2w3104-376-p.asp the low mounts, so it seems I have found a bit of a winner for the money.
They seem to be Ok at the moment and I see no reason to change them so far !!
I have a set of Warne QD low mounts on standby if needed but so far so good,

Mike, I had a set of Warne QD mounts with a life time guarantee that broke but the UK importer wouldn't honour them so I got these to tide me over and during the meantime Warne USA matched the warranty and sent me a replacement set.
So there you are guys there are mounts available that do the job at less than half the price.

Eddy,very disappointing the UK importer wouldn't honour the warranty. I am surprised they broke. I have a few and never had a problem.

Eddy,very disappointing the UK importer wouldn't honour the warranty. I am surprised they broke. I have a few and never had a problem.

It was the bottom screw, the one that goes through the QD Wing and draws it tight to the base on the rifle.

I've used the leapers mounts for a few years now, never had a problem with them, on anything from the mighty 17 Hmr to the 338 lap mag.

Leapers, fit & finish is poor and they barely clamp to the rail - seriously underwhelmed. Best place for them is in the trash.
Beats me how people pay hundreds for a rifle then hundreds more for a scope then fit crap sportsmatch leapers etc mounts...

The set I have are very well finished and as for not clamping to the rail, I presume you mean the base block, mine came with a hex spanner to enable me tighten the adjustable screw on mine so I have no problem at all in clamping them to the rail.
So far they have held tight on my 30-06 with twenty one rounds being put through it.

Back