Anyone using the climbing treestands?

Jonher

Does anybody have experience of the climbing tree stands that are very popular in the US?

I'm thinking about getting one to improve my shooting angles and increase line of sight in my terrain which is all forestry. There are some nice open felled areas away from the trails which would make some great posts but safe backstops are very limited, so i'm hoping by getting one I could greatly increase my chances of a shot or even seeing an animal.

At the minute I'm looking at one of the Summit Viper treestands:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunt..._l=SBC;cat104791680;cat104783580;cat104650380

Are they any importers or similar items available in the UK?

I found it easy to use and useful, much easier to lug about than a high seat as it goes on your back like a rucksack and is very light. I only sold it as my shooting terrain changed and so I had no use for it anymore.

yes, i have one hence the name :oops:

i havnt done a lot with it but it seems very versitile heres a link to on on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stalking-Clim...Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item45f8c5656f

the only thing i would say is that a lot of these are designed for bow hunting which i think makes them slightly small for rifle work with mine i have found it best to face the tree as the rest is a little too close for a good solid shot when facing forward

still very handy and you could leave it up the tree and access it with a ladder which would be a good way to remove some public liability issues

QUESTION ?

These must fall into there own category surely, as the tree needs to be quite straight, tall and narrow.

Almost like a telegraph pole.

Rgds, Buck

Not many trees suitable for the climbing seat type, but they have a place, I prefer to take a folding ladder type seat, common on the Arran scheme, these will carry around easy enough , just need a little bit of a sling or strap added.

can see a few probs
a. i have no straight trees with no branches
b.i would be too knackered to shoot anything by the time i shimmied it up a tree
c.all the time i was sat in it i would be worrying about the descent at the end

If you can lift two feet of the ground resting on your elbows you can go up and down no problem. I am 19stone 61 years old and I can use it. Jim

they are suprisingly easy to use 3m in 30 seconds easily every time

also if you look at the "hang on type stands" a similar thing but you just tie it to the tree. the climbing stand can also be used in the same way just attach it to a straight limb on need to use it to climb

I have just got back from using mine.
Purchased from the ebay link given previously,you get a fall arrest harness with it,great piece of kit,if you adjust the seat straps to max length the gun rail is a nice height.
Its just a pity I have no deer on my tiny piece of ground,Regards Tony.

Does anybody have experience of the climbing tree stands that are very popular in the US?

I'm thinking about getting one to improve my shooting angles and increase line of sight in my terrain which is all forestry. There are some nice open felled areas away from the trails which would make some great posts but safe backstops are very limited, so i'm hoping by getting one I could greatly increase my chances of a shot or even seeing an animal.

At the minute I'm looking at one of the Summit Viper treestands:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunt..._l=SBC;cat104791680;cat104783580;cat104650380

Are they any importers or similar items available in the UK?[/QUOTE
Hi Johner
I have one of the seats and have shot Reds and roe from it, the seat is very easy to use if you have some pine trees or quite straight trees on your land, when i first got this seat we walked around the land with a ladder and saw, we picked some trees which we thought would be good to shoot from and cut the lower branches off. then we can use any of these trees with the seat. its light to carry and quick and simple to use.
Paul

Hi Johner
I have one of the seats and have shot Reds and roe from it, the seat is very easy to use if you have some pine trees or quite straight trees on your land, when i first got this seat we walked around the land with a ladder and saw, we picked some trees which we thought would be good to shoot from and cut the lower branches off. then we can use any of these trees with the seat. its light to carry and quick and simple to use.
Paul

Thank you for the replies everyone, I'm seriously considering one now - another toy... :rolleyes:

As soon as the snow melts I'm going to have a scout around in the terrain and see what trees are suitable and as you mention Paul I will cut off any obstrucking branches. Think I might mark them with some gaffa tape as well as finding the right tree in the forest when it's dark is quite tricky :lol:

Back