Help gaining stalking experience in Yorkshire area.

Rob3104

Having done a couple of paid stalks, I am now planning on doing my DSC1 in the new year. I already have my FAC. However, in the meantime I would like to gain some more practical stalking experience in the field. I was wondering if there might be anyone willing to allow me to accompany them on a stalk or two. I’m not wanting or expecting to take any shots, it just about gaining more stalking experience, gralloch, etc.

I live in the Harrogate/Leeds area but I am of course willing to travel. If you are able to help please PM me.

Also, if anyone has any other ideas on how I could build my experience levels I look forward to hearing them. What have other stalkers done in my position

​Thanks in advance.

You can only get experience by doing. Pay for some stalking with John at YDS not be expensive on the does, he will help you a lot. You need to get to the range to practice your marksmanship. Good luck with it

Thanks. I have stalked with John and am planning another in Oct. Already have a .22LR and as and when I get a deer calibre rifle I will take it to the range. What I'm trying to do here is in addition to paid stalks, not instead of.

Unfortunately for you, how many people in your position do you think ask the very same question, the stalking world is not always that trusting as there is always the fear of having your land pinched by the unscrupulous, it also take time and perseverance to get into staking there aren't often any shortcuts to be had, the advice above is good advice, and the route most would take if they didn't have a land of their own to gain experience on.
​ I would be surprised if after so few posts you get any offers personally, not meaning to be harsh, but there is a long queue and you are not at the front of it......
bets of luck though.

Sadly, I am sure you are right and I expected this when I posted the message but I thought it was worth a try anyway!

I do understand that people are protective of the permissions (I know it’s hard to come by) and wary of new comers. It’s a shame, people used to be take pride in sharing their skills and give people a leg up into a new sport. How are we to make new contacts beyond the virtual world for forums?

give it time and contribute to conversations ,you make friends and invites come I was told it will take around 3 years to get to know people and this seems very true, it will happen just slowly at first then it picks up pace, good luck wayne

give it time and contribute to conversations ,you make friends and invites come I was told it will take around 3 years to get to know people and this seems very true, it will happen just slowly at first then it picks up pace, good luck wayne

very true.

Perhaps you could go along to one of the meetings often advertised on SD (if there is one in your area) you should soon meet a few folks willing to pass on the knowledge.
Have a look in Events and Meetings

Last edited:
where do you live. I'm in Harrogate. busy for 3 weeks the off for the highlands. may get a chance in November if work permits. send me a PM.

Back