Heads up - Poaching

Max

Seven Reds shot and skinned on site on Saturday night on a Norfolk farm.
Looks like Xmas poaching has started here, I'm sure this is not the first ?

Max

I have heard of some guys using a .17hmr around here on any deer they can shoot. Use to be lots of roe here but dont see many now!

we had some bother on our ground (and maybe still do for all I know). pretty upsetting and I feel like somebody is stealing from me, not to mention potential safety issues as its likely these folks don't know the lie of the land and are shooting from vehicles in the middle of the night, creating potential danger to concealed houses, paths and livestock which is not easily seen.

most disturbing for me was when a .22 LR was retrieved from a roes leg which I had shot. god only knows how long it had been carrying this around for. Its sad to say that this is a very difficult crime to catch people at and indeed stop.

photo 2.JPG

1 lowland red takes some handling, never mind 7. They must be seriously kitted up. How many of us has a vehicle to load 7 reds into. Did it appear that they'd all been put down at that site in one go or had the waste been dumped?

novice

1 lowland red takes some handling, never mind 7. They must be seriously kitted up. How many of us has a vehicle to load 7 reds into. Did it appear that they'd all been put down at that site in one go or had the waste been dumped?

novice

I would say they are professional villains who are well kitted out with NV gear, maybe legal weapon/weapons or illegal (are they going to give a toss) and a chiller wagon not far away. They would have done there homework so not random. Skinned on site and butchered elsewhere and either sold to a bent butcher or on any weekend market. What gets me is nobody but nobody ever see's these people. I know they have the advantage, being that they know when they are going poaching but with all the foxers out there at all hours you would think someone would come across them.
You tell me the answer :idea:

novice

You can get more than 7 Lowland Reds into a pickup buck with a truckman top. I wouldn't have thought they'd all be gert stags. A winch or a block and tackle would help load them in. I would say it would be doable with two determined blokes.

You can get more than 7 Lowland Reds into a pickup buck with a truckman top. I wouldn't have thought they'd all be gert stags. A winch or a block and tackle would help load them in. I would say it would be doable with two determined blokes.

Mob handed I recon.

I have loaded five big hinds on my own into the back of a pickup, doubt if they skinned on site, probably dumbed skins, ask the local fox lampers, probable a bait point to make it easier to shoot foxes, I have often gone back in the evening and shot fox on gralloch, of course this would make it s non story

These scum do not give a thought for anything, other than getting whatever they are after at any consequences ie you or others getting hurt in the process of trying to stop them. The only people that they are frightened of is the police and the judge and the thought of the nick for a spell.
Me, i just take a note of any suspicious cars that are about and always ask the farmers if they know the owners and if i dare say something was to happen or go a missing etc the details would be passed onto the authorities. Do not put yourself at risk of accusation for something that wasn't said or risk to your own wellbeing. My nephew worked as a groundworker then supervisor and manager on an estate and after it was sold there where problems with staff being paid off and thats when the poachers moved in, There was a lot of shooting going on at night and he was told by the owner to get out and see what was happening, needless to say there where a few guys with rifles and shotguns that said to him well you need to stay here and we can come back at anytime to see You he quickly said that the police had been called and would be there as soon as and one of the guys lifted a scanner out of his pocket and said not for another 30 mins, so get toFeck. My nephew went away and looked about the road and nothing, must have been dropped off to do whatever. He quickly made his way back to his house and waited till the police came. Told me that he sh!t himself and thought that they would do him in, did they ever get them? Well can pigs fly? Never Put Yourself at Risk!!!!!

I would say they are professional villains who are well kitted out with NV gear, maybe legal weapon/weapons or illegal (are they going to give a toss) and a chiller wagon not far away. They would have done there homework so not random. Skinned on site and butchered elsewhere and either sold to a bent butcher or on any weekend market. What gets me is nobody but nobody ever see's these people. I know they have the advantage, being that they know when they are going poaching but with all the foxers out there at all hours you would think someone would come across them.
You tell me the answer :idea:

Could it be the one's shooting the foxes? Surely not!

Seven Reds shot and skinned on site on Saturday night on a Norfolk farm.
Looks like Xmas poaching has started here, I'm sure this is not the first ?

Max
i would say the skins had been dumped there by someone no poachers are going to hang around and skin the deer were they were poaching will want to be in and out plus how many poachers do you know with bchiller vans

Fact, here in Suffolk that there are teams operating poaching not only on deer but pigs and sheep as well. They operate with a shoot team vehicle (who have in the past thrown light sticks to mark dropped animals) that shoot from a road / lane. A recovery team arrives without firearms and removes the animals. I've seen it, chased vehicles, called the Police who don't turn up for two hours and supplied endless reports.

I thought at one time the Police were actually trying to do something, how wrong! They are totally disinterested in resolving this sort of armed crime as to them it does not feature or have any level of significant importance therefore resources, commitment, training and armed response is painfully lacking.

However having said that there is one department of the Police force who are armed and do now give me very professional and active assistance as a deterrent to any would be deer poachers.

To give the Police some chance of improving their role I would advise that every and all actual or suspected illegal taking of deer or other rural crime incident is reported. Without crime figures and facts the Police cannot put resources into fighting an illegal operation (especially if it's not reported). We must highlight incidents and put pressure on the Police to act.

We have a gang operating in Lincolnshire that shoot anything. They know the ground intimately and must be kitted up well as they drive across arable fields and push big bales out of the way with bull bars on the vehicles. They have left foxes,badgers and deer heads and legs all over. In the past when in Warwickshire I would have been tempted to call up one or two old boys from Hereford way but trying to catch these verminous scum really is not worth it. They are likely to come back and torch the farms and despite my wishes this old body is not really up to engagement anymore. I am however using technology to try and identify them.
Could it be the one's shooting the foxes? Surely not!

Police deploy helicopter and dogs after gamekeeper chased by armed poachers

First published Thursday 4 December 2014 in Bridport
Last updated 10:11 Friday 5 December 2014 by Rene Gerryts
POACHERS armed with shotguns chased a gamekeeper who confronted them on rural land at night.
Police scrambled a helicopter and sent in a dog unit after being alerted to the drama on an isolated spot between Melplash and Beaminster on Friday.
The gamekeeper had seen two men in their 20s wearing black woolly hats studying a map by torchlight at around 9.30pm.
They were armed with shotguns and when he challenged them they turned on him and chased him.
Police scoured the area until 11.30pm but didn’t find the poachers, one of whom was reported to have an eastern European accent.
Bridport Police Inspector Mike Darby said a similar incident happened in Somerset recently.
He said: “We are looking to see if they are any links between the two incidents. Hampshire has recently done a quite extensive anti-poaching operation and have done some ground-breaking work in relation to combating the use of dogs in illegal hunting.
"We are speaking to local landowners about targeting people we know who are engaged in the offence of poaching using gamekeepers to assist us spotting unusual activity at night time when we will be deploying resources.”
NFU West Dorset branch secretary Paul Bennett said: “This instance is particularly disturbing. While neighbouring areas have had problems, illegal activity such as this involving fire arms have been few and far between in West Dorset. It was good the police response was so prompt.”
PROMOTED STORIES Recommended by

The incident comes as Dorset launch a new operation targeting illegal poachers in West Dorset after a surge in complaints from local farmers.
Police have been targeting 4x4 vehicles driving on the country lanes and searched the vehicles, with a number of pieces of poaching equipment including lamps, knives and catapults seized by officers and now being investigated by police.
Police Inspector Steve Marsh of Dorset Police said the operation the first part of the operation had been a success and would continue over the coming months.
Insp Marsh said: “We carried out a poaching operation concentrating on rural areas and supporting the concerns of the farming community. In particular we are targeting those who poach and take deer.
“More than 35 vehicles were stopped in the operation and drivers were asked to account for their movements.
“Several items suspected of being used in poaching were seized to allow further enquires to take place.
“We would be very keen to hear from pubs and restaurants who may have been offered venison and other game through unlicenced sources. In many cases the animals are sourced illegally, killed inhumanely and not correctly prepared prior to entering the food chain.
“The operation will be repeated and poachers will be targeted. Many of those connected with poaching offences are also involved in other forms of rural criminality. Members of the public are urged to contact Dorset Police should they see any suspicious activity taking place on land during the hours of darkness.”
Rupert Rees, secretary of the Dorchester National Farmer's Union branch, said he supported the police operation as illegal poaching was a huge problem for local farmers.
Mr Rees said: “I understand what happens is people cut the barbed fences into farms and then drive across the fields to have a go at poaching.
“This causes a number of problems for farmers because cattle and sheep can escape through the cut fences, and it is the farmer's responsibility to ensure the livestock remain on the field.
“Poaching also has a huge economic impact on farmers, it scares sheep and cattle, it obviously reduces numbers of deer and the worst case scenario is the cattle get out and cause an accident. Poaching is very disruptive to local farmers.”

Out of interest has anyone ever heard of poachers being caught anf fined over the past 25 years.?
Why would they send out a helicopter?
Sounds like another very very very expensive jolly PR exercise

Out of interest has anyone ever heard of poachers being caught anf fined over the past 25 years.?
Why would they send out a helicopter?
Sounds like another very very very expensive jolly PR exercise
Because the helicopter has thermal ......................and a great big search light :D

there is an answer but the police aint got the resources .wildlife aru,s in each country not just 1 wildlife officer,doing routine stop n search on all suss vehicles at night.also better penalties if you get caught poaching its armed trespass so do em for both offences ,jail time for illegal firearms .vehicle confiscation and crushing for poaching .make it so expensive to actually poach they dont bother .and a points system for each offence leading to curfew for repeat offenders .they say jails full tag the scrotes .it wouldnt be popular with civil liberty types but having a shotgun aimed at you isnt popular with gamekeepers n farmers either.

Theres been a massive increase in poaching in the Grizedale, Rusland and Windermere area in Cumbria,,,,dog men in land rovers,,,,

I understand the FC and local deer management group together with the police are doing all they can to catch those responsible.

Been a few incidents in the Lancs / Cumbria border too, which are on-going cases, thats been reported in the press.

Always an upsurge around this time of year,,, greed being the main driver.

confiscation of gun/scope possibly 4x4 if used as an aid to poaching. withdrawal of hunting licence for 3 years 2000 euro fine six month suspended sentence to be activated if caught within that time and thats for openers. after sufferingexcessive poaching for years the authorities in Ireland are now taking a fairly tough line.it hasnt stopped but it has greatly reduced.

Back