Explosion in Italian roe deer population accompanying re-afforestation!

Krabryn

This article claims that since 1945 the estimated number of roe deer has increased from 10,000 to 500,000.

It tempts a few questions: -
  • has anyone from the SD experience of stalking deer (or boar) in Italy?
  • Are there any Italian members of the SD?
  • presumably reintroduction of lynx in the northern areas would seem to be an attempt to effect a new balance in deer population?
  • any agents on here for 'Chiantishire' stalking or boar hunting?
Cheers, KView attachment Italian Post WW2 Roe Deer Growth.pdf

This article claims that since 1945 the estimated number of roe deer has increased from 10,000 to 500,000.

It tempts a few questions: -
  • has anyone from the SD experience of stalking deer (or boar) in Italy?
  • Are there any Italian members of the SD?
  • presumably reintroduction of lynx in the northern areas would seem to be an attempt to effect a new balance in deer population?
  • any agents on here for 'Chiantishire' stalking or boar hunting?
Cheers, KView attachment 42065

They either run away from you or surrender ;)

They either run away from you or surrender ;)

I'll take that over the German approach any day of the week! Who wants to fight all the way to a bunker in Berlin only to find that the Russians have go there first and the quarry in question has already gone up in smoke? (And don't even mention the Japanese... though I suppose the idea of the old veterans hiding out in the forests might have some relevance!)

Somehow I don't think I'm helping take this thread in a constructive direction.

Sorry

Last edited:
Sirs,

Yes, Nick100 as unveiled something that I kept hidden from forums for years:D, and no its not what you first thought...its the second one...the Italian bit, I was Born in Meriden, but lived the majority of my life in Italy.
I have hunted Wild boar and Roe deer, since I was 10-12 years as I remember, Wild boar are considered pests, like here rabbits, so don't be fooled to think that they hunt these animals, with the intention of a humane kill, believe me, no we don't, hence we are allowed to use semi-auto shotguns with ball ogive or elicoid, also semi-auto rifle, lately I was using a browning semi-auto 30-06. I don't expect you to understand the non humane kill priority, because you haven't experienced the amount of damage, that a group of wild boar can do, when set free.
I know that there as been incidents in Uk, where wild boars have been released, but the worst from them as still to come I think.
Regarding shooting in Italy, its quite difficult to get the permits, not impossible tho, I done this before, you will need a wild boar team to sponsor you and an application to the right office, cost £30 pounds circa, you will have to transport your own gun to Italy, you can't rent them, but you can buy ammunition. This its for Wild boar
Regarding Roe, its a completely different story, they work on quotas and residency, this might prove very difficult to obtain.

ATB
MArk

Back