30-06 200 grain Lapua Mega for Muntjac ???

Jonher

I'm heading back to the UK for some muntjac hunting at the end of February and I'm going to take my new rifle to try and get my first kill with it.

My current allround load for 30-06 is a 200 grain Lapua Mega doing about 750 m/s, will this do the job, my concern is whether they will expand enough? :confused:

Just want to make sure everything is suitable before getting there, shooting something and then regretting it!

Jonher, that load will certainly get it done... A bit less might do. If you can pickup some run of the mill 165gr it might be perfect. I would not go down to 150gr bullets as they may be too fast and a bit destructive on the carcass.

Muntjac are funny little buggers, I shot one a couple of years ago with a 165gr TSX from a 308 and it managed to run 35 yards after a perfect hit. The cleanest kills have been with 140gr bullets out of both a 270 and a 260. I have shot a bunch with the 120gr BT in the 260 and it does a fair bit of damage. I will be using 125gr Partitions in the 260 this year.

See you there.

Thanks for the reply C_D.

If the load will get it done, then I think I'll stick with that. I like to keep things as simple as possible and one load for munjac up to moose/wild boar should keep me content for a while.

Thanks again and see you there! :D

Jonher, that load will certainly get it done... A bit less might do. If you can pickup some run of the mill 165gr it might be perfect. I would not go down to 150gr bullets as they may be too fast and a bit destructive on the carcass.

Muntjac are funny little buggers, I shot one a couple of years ago with a 165gr TSX from a 308 and it managed to run 35 yards after a perfect hit. The cleanest kills have been with 140gr bullets out of both a 270 and a 260. I have shot a bunch with the 120gr BT in the 260 and it does a fair bit of damage. I will be using 125gr Partitions in the 260 this year.

See you there.

I'm using 196 norma vulkans in 8x57 - similar at 770m/s - doing the job very well - minimal meat damage (the last one took the bullet through the shoulder and the rest of the shoulder was edible)

James

Jonher, the other thing I would suggest is that you zero that rifle spot on at 100m. You will be shooting from a high seat, normally in or around woodland and the ranges are not long. I would not want a rifle shooting 5cm high at 100m with that slow load. Muntjac are not very big and it is easy to shoot over one. Check your drop at 150m or so.

I'm using 196 norma vulkans in 8x57 - similar at 770m/s - doing the job very well - minimal meat damage (the last one took the bullet through the shoulder and the rest of the shoulder was edible)

James

Thanks for the reply James, thats why I prefer the big slow bullets

Jonher, the other thing I would suggest is that you zero that rifle spot on at 100m. You will be shooting from a high seat, normally in or around woodland and the ranges are not long. I would not want a rifle shooting 5cm high at 100m with that slow load. Muntjac are not very big and it is easy to shoot over one. Check your drop at 150m or so.

Thanks Brian, I'm out this weekend to zero the rifle with my new A-Tec Maxim Mod so I'll zero it at 100m and make a note of the drop at different distances.

Back