Hand loading Newbie

woollyback

I'm finally taking the plunge and committing to loading my own rounds. I have a Tikka T3 6.5x55 with a 20" barrel.

After trolling through thread on here, I've decided to go with the Hornady 140gr SST but I have no idea what powder I should be looking at for for this bullet and short 20" barrel combo.

Any help/advice would be hugely appreciated, especially if you have direct experience with this set-up.

I'm finally taking the plunge and committing to loading my own rounds. I have a Tikka T3 6.5x55 with a 20" barrel.

After trolling through thread on here, I've decided to go with the Hornady 140gr SST but I have no idea what powder I should be looking at for for this bullet and short 20" barrel combo.

Any help/advice would be hugely appreciated, especially if you have direct experience with this set-up.

What is listed in your reloading manual?? I'm sure you have one because to embark on reloading otherwise would be.... ill advised. ~Muir

What is listed in your reloading manual?? I'm sure you have one because to embark on reloading otherwise would be.... ill advised. ~Muir

Yes and N160 seems to be a favourite, I just wasn't sure if the short barrel would require something different that's all.

Whew! That's good! I was worried you were trying to do what so many do these days and 'learn' to reload off of the internet. I'd say to try Varget but that stuff is getting scarce. IMR 4064 is good and may give you decent velocities. IMR 4350 used to work well in my 17" carbine, accuracy wise, but it put out a heck of a roar! Do you have a chronograph?~Muir

not entirely sure what the objection to using the internet is.
There is some very good resources out there.

not entirely sure what the objection to using the internet is.
There is some very good resources out there.

i would agree, I sometimes think people take the basics away from reloading and turn it into a "black art" when in reality all you need is a case, primer, powder and bullet.

As as long as you read and understand the measures and the basic process it will be fine.

i would always recommend a lee hand loader is used first as things like the dippers and the step by step with pictures are a big help.

regards,
gixer

I bought a lee challenger kit first.
I have to say I wish I had not.
The press does the job but the powder thrower is rubbish.
I have now got some dippers and a trickeler that is much better.

There is a very detailed video by scierra (3 hours long) banded around the net. That is very usefull.
There is plenty of reloading data straight from the horses mouth available on the net.
Check out spuds reloading channel on facebook.
Then if you don't understand ask....

After further research through my reloading manuals and a better possible regular supply, I have gone with some Nosler 130gr.

Has anyone had/have experience with the Nosler Accubond range of bullets? I thought I'd give these a go through my 6.5x55 due to manufacturer claims that they are very similar to performance/accuracy of the 120gr BT's (which a lot of people seem to recommend for swedes) but have a more reliable and controlled expansion which is what I'm after for Fallow, Roe & Munty.

I've picked up a box to try for my first go at loading my own ammunition (I have a very experienced friend overseeing me in the process)

I'd interested view your view and experience with Accubonds, especially through the swede

Have a look on Nathan Fosters knowledge base regarding the bullet choices and how they perform. Lots of valuable information on that site

Back