Anybody else out for the Roe bucks today?

tjm160

Anybody else out for the Roe bucks today? Or leaving them a while until cleaned their velvet?

I finally managed a trip out with the lad this morning. The first in 9-months owing to the chronic fatigue and at the permission an hour and a half away. It was my third time there in three years and I'm glad to say, another successful stalk. I'm fortunate to be the only shooter permitted onto the ground and the next door farm also doesn't allow anyone. The Roe populous are consequently mature, historically unmanaged and generally left entirely alone. Leaving the Doe's and only taking a Buck or two per year, I'm even more fortunate that there is generally a good likelihood of success - total five bucks in four visits, including three on the first solo stalk following DSC1, to thin them out a little - Murphy's law that the one blank was when visiting with the mentor :doh: However, I remain ever grateful for my mentor's kind and generous advice and guidance, especially on the ground. His words counselling patience were ringing soundly in the ears this morning, resulting in the success. He was also absolutely right, that it's turning into a real nice little patch to manage. It's just a crying shame the whole land will have housing and industrial estates on within the next few years :cry:

Write-up later, now time for a rest before skinning and butchering :tiphat:

Last edited:
Well done I had one this morning even after being accosted by two elderly ladies walking a huge Alsatian that where very anti. Didn't help them shouting and telling my buck to run away whilst telling me I was a hooligan.
I did explain the error of them being on private land without permission to which they retreated slowly after taking my registration on there way out of the field.

Well done Tim,sounds a crying shame it going for house,s ,my perm went for a Jubilee woods.Locked at night and more rules than a traffic warden on steroids .Ironside its becoming more prevalent im afraid Townies with no idea about the countryside and belief that right to roam means they can go wherever they please and those signs saying dogs on a lead dont apply to them as they,re special :cuckoo:

well done tim ,nice to see you are still banging them down ,sorry to hear about your illness .but your back out here now.
atb neill.

Thanks gents and I feel your pain Ironside, so frustrating they focus on the sawdust in our eyes only to miss the plank in their own.

Oh no, so sorry Iain, how are you getting out now, or is it more a case of not, unless paid outings?

Cheers Neil and likewise fella, onwards and upwards eh :)

Only because I don't see any need to Baguio. The animals on this patch are all amazingly healthy, without even so much as a tick or ked. All five grallochs and carcasses have been absolutely spotless. So, I figure why take out those that are helping keeping the population at a healthy number. Always happy for another perspective though, especially if it helps the learning :tiphat:

Only because I don't see any need to Baguio. The animals on this patch are all amazingly healthy, without even so much as a tick or ked. All five grallochs and carcasses have been absolutely spotless. So, I figure why take out those that are helping keeping the population at a healthy number. Always happy for another perspective though, especially if it helps the learning :tiphat:
Hi Tim, you're clearly not a trophy hunter as you wouldn't be out shooting bucks today if you were hence my question. It's just that if you have sole stalking on this and the next farm, then there are probably some older does that will be going backwards as their teeth wear out. Eventually they will die from starvation if you don't take them out first? I'm not talking about halving the population or anything like that, but simply selectively culling the weak, lame and lazy, as the wolves would have done! It's a good excuse to spend more time on the ground and give your lad a better grounding in deer management! It's not something to do until the new year but I would also be looking to take out does that are producing smaller and weaker kids which will result in improving your herd!
Hopefully that will make perfect sense to you and many others.
Happy stalking
Baguio

Hi Baguio

No not really, although I have got half a mind and eye on culling the bucks effectively to encourage more attractive antler growth on those that are there. Indeed, a medal would be nice at some point, but I'm neither going to go out of my way to try and achieve one or spend any money on it specifically.

Thanks for the tips on effective management of the does Baguio. I do carefully scrutinise every one I see and as mentioned, the whole populous effectively exists in its own little bubble. They are all disgustingly clean and healthy, without even so much as a tick or a ked in sight on the five that I've taken over the last 3-years.

Here's my write up from today if of passing interest to folks.

:tiphat:

At least I can take the moth balls out of the freezer now :D

Back