change in POI off sticks

User00003

I was just doing a bit of practice off some new sticks with thick foam padding in the V, so you can rest the stock in it rather than having to rest in the hands. From 70 yds my grouping was great, about 1", BUT, they were all falling 1.5-2" below my prone/bipod POI at 100yds!

any ideas why?

All I can think of is you are changing the angle of view down the scope if all other things, ammunition etc are the same.

PKL

It's a very good question. The first thing it indicates is that your shooting is improving. I am looking at a target at which I fired pairs of shots at from different positions/rests at different bulls and no two pairs have the same elevation. I also noted recently when firing from a sitting position on a very hard surface with the bipod fully deployed, that my shots were going 2 inches high. As you practice and improve, you will see variations in how you and your rifle perform from different positions and different locations.

Regards JCS

The rifle can react off different surfaces, are you pulling them down with more or less pressure. Bi pods are inherently very solid, no padding between the gun and bipod, also check that with the legs up the bipod is not touching the mod when leant on the sticks(i have had this problem)

Make your self a set of quad sticks and you will shoot as good as off a bipod with no change in point. Of aim!

Having. Used all different. Makes of sticks I find them the steadiest and with spactice the are onlt a fraction slower then normal. Duel sticks !

A good rifle should shoot to the same point no matter what position it's fired from.
One reason why one free floats a barrel, but I think there is more to it.
Was watching side on the recoil behaviour of a 300win mag this eve. I had made a ultra light stock
with internal weights to counter muzzle flip. Rifle tended not to flip up but torqued and moved to the left
slightly.
My old sako in the origianl walnut stock only shot halfway well if the forend was held very hard, stock layout
or egonomics was totally wrong.
edi

I was just doing a bit of practice off some new sticks with thick foam padding in the V, so you can rest the stock in it rather than having to rest in the hands. From 70 yds my grouping was great, about 1", BUT, they were all falling 1.5-2" below my prone/bipod POI at 100yds!

any ideas why?

brought this up before and got laughed at ??????? i have found Zero a rifle say off a soft surface then fit a Bipod it WILL shoot 1.5-3" high. when shooting off the bipod I only use a clip on plastic Bipod atatched to the underside of my .-25-06 an .300 by clipping it to a piece of Deer Antler lay something soft Coat etc i use a Carp unhooking mat Zero my Rifle an unless i rest the bipod on a Hard surface no change in poi. Try it for yourself it will the same effect if you was to rest the foreend on say a hard gate post Rifle will shoot high. Just my findings and thats why i would NEVER Zero ANY Rifle with a Bipod resting on a Bonnet of a truck or Hard surface. hope this might help.

to be fair he didn't say his group was bad off sticks just low, quad sticks may well worsen the problem.......if the group was good its more likely to be the change of surface and or the forces being applied to he rifle

I group sub 1" off twin sticks - I bet most would struggle to do better with quads, so no issues there...and I don't really feel like dragging a scaffolding set into the field either! One is best, twin if necessary, quads...not for me (just my opinion lads, no offense to the quad-users - sincerely). All I was saying was that from the soft foam in the twin stick V I was seeing my group POI lower than off my bipod off soft grass. I'm guessing it's because the soft foam in the V provides less 'bounce' or 'jump'. - even though I did not actually zero using my bipod, but off sandbags.

PKL do you think you might be inadvertantly pullng down less, as with sticks your holding the sticks and the rifle where as with a bipod and sandbags you are able to hold purely the rifle and therefore apply more downward force with less effort.

Another problem may be you are leaning in very slightly as you pull the trigger but I doubt this being the reason as this would open the group.

I'm a two stick man as well, quads are good at night when holding a lamp for shots at 200yards but for stalking two is enough

Just a quick thought but are you sure your stock and barrel are enough seperated. I have had an issue off sticks before as I tend to lean into the rifle a bit putting quite a bit of pressure onto the rifle and sticks. My problem turned out to be that the pressure was causing the stock to touch the barrel. The other issue off a hard surface is making sure the gun is held for a follow through as it will definately try to bounce up rather than recoil back.

I am fascinated by the comments about quad sticks as the only time I used them I found them a complete pain when a deer was walking slowly and I was waiting with the rifle in sticks for it to stop. It only had to move inches and I had to completely reset the sticks where as with tripod/bipod/monopod I simply rotate the gun on the top?

Im with JCS on this one. In my experience shooting from different positions and using different methods of support will have an influence on poi. These differences are often not significant at stalking ranges but can be noticed when practicing at longer ranges.

Back