muntys fighting

222cwd

while walking down a grass ride this morning just after first light I could hear something in the brambles on my right about ten yards away, then all of a sudden there was the sound of running deer and I thought I had bumped up some fallow due to the noise they made. All of a sudden this good munty buck ran out on to the ride only twenty yards away, it stopped and just stood there looking straight at me when a munty doe run out and head butted it on the chest which knocked it off its feet, the doe then ran off and the buck stood up and shuck its self still looking my way, when the doe ran back out and did the same thing but in the other side again the buck fell over but this time the doe ran off down the ride. Again the buck stood up shacking himself but turned to watch the doe running off. The doe then turned around run back up the ride and did it again but this time head on which made the buck go up in the air, the doe run back pass me about a foot away from my right foot. Again the buck stood up but this time he run the other way at about one hunderd miles an hour, don't blame him.
I have never seen any thing like this before in all my years stalking and I spend alot of time after muntys and have only ever seen bucks running around after each other.

Perhaps she had a HEADACHE!! thats the normal excuse :lol:
So on that context it's normal behaviour :)
regards Trapper

I wonder whether this aggressive behaviour might be pathological - perhaps the doe had been maddened or disorientated by some injury or disease.

We know that deer can develop brain disorders similar to BSE (called chronic wasting disease, I think) and this might account for uncharacteristic aggresion.

Alternatively, maybe your munty doe was defending her youngster from an aggressive buck.

James

Sounds like pretty normal female behaviour to me right across the spectrum, maybe he had just said she can't have that new handbag she wanted :lol:

[/quote]""" while walking down a grass ride this morning just after first light I could hear something in the brambles on my right about ten yards away """

222cwd .......... I take it you were not carrying a rifle ? ;)

I was fallow stalkng so didnt want to shoot one as i shoot loads of muntys a year, I could of shot seven different ones easy but decided not to :D

Back