Spades and stalking

Tamus

This issue arose on another thread.

Spades may be carried while stalking for the purposes of burying grallochs and perhaps other reasons too.

The question is do you carry a spade with you when you go stalking?

YES or NO

Define 'carry'? On the person or kept in the vehicle for the other reasons?

No to the former. Yes, (folding German narmy surplus), to the latter.

Is it best practice to bury gralloch? Leaving it out in the open for the birds of prey to clean up is a better option surely.

Define 'carry'? On the person or kept in the vehicle for the other reasons?

I mean literally "carry", as in... upon your person, in order to be a good little "best practitioner" and be able to bury my gralloch, where appropriate.

Incidentally I have never actually carried a spade, folding or otherwise, whilst stalking... Deer.:D

Never leave home without one, plus shooter, if you're worried about your terriers though.:old:

Tamus

Yes, my Dad has a spade in the Argo. It makes an excellent ground anchor when he bogs the Argo and it's handy for digging too. I carry a spade in the car when there's snow forecast. The spades are left in the vehicles when we go stalking.

Regards JCS

We would need a sherpa to carry all the stuff suggested.

On my person while stalking:

Rifle
Ammo
Bins
Knife
Latex gloves.
Drag strap.
iPhone.

End off.

Burrying the gralloch isn't necessary on the open hill or where there is lots of area that the public is unlikely to see it.
In more densely populated areas where many people stalk it's unwise to leave the evidence for the antis or joe piublic to create problems over.
Some say take it away in plastic bags - all very well but where do you then dispose of it? Local councils are getting really picky what they will take away. Along with rubbish collection only happening once a fortnight meaning stinking rotten material to store ---- Not good. So judicious burial is sometimes the best thing to do.

Ian

Why not a chance !

Because it's extra useless weight to carry. I'm not talking about maybe having one available in a vehicle somewhere, which could be useful in some situations, I'm talking about carrying one with you on the stalk.

I'm not going to condemn anyone if they want to take one along, it's a free country, but if I'm going stalking I take the minimum amount of gear necessary and I don't consider a spade necessary.

Because it's extra useless weight to carry. I'm not talking about maybe having one available in a vehicle somewhere, which could be useful in some situations, I'm talking about carrying one with you on the stalk.

I'm not going to condemn anyone if they want to take one along, it's a free country, but if I'm going stalking I take the minimum amount of gear necessary and I don't consider a spade necessary.

I'd have though this made sense - the less weight you are carrying the easier it is to be quiet and stealthy? Or am I being naive:?:

I'd have though this made sense - the less weight you are carrying the easier it is to be quiet and stealthy? Or am I being naive:?:

Maybe. :D

1236337872_fat_guy_shooting_his_gun.gif

Tamus, I personally don't think anyone will carry a spade (on their person) while stalking.

Birds of prey, foxes and corvids will quickly clean up any gralloch !

There ain't many who will want to dig 1 metre below ground level after a week of minus 10 on a January morn,

they'd be better of carry'n a PICK!!! :lol:

Rgds, Buck.

Back