Gralloch training

Went on a day's Gralloch training with Ian Farrington recently as I'm doing my DSC2. Would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who isn't quite sure they do it right or wants to ask any burning questions. Well worth the time, and I think he's doing it again later this year.

ATB gents

It's always good to get "hands on" experience under guidance. Although there are many ways to do it wrong, there isn't just one way to do it right. In time you'll find ways that are best for you and just as good as the next one
Wingy

Went on a day's Gralloch training with Ian Farrington recently as I'm doing my DSC2. Would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who isn't quite sure they do it right or wants to ask any burning questions. Well worth the time, and I think he's doing it again later this year.

ATB gents

What was his fee ?

It would be good to see this kind of thing more widely available. Especially instruction/training on the lymphatic system and some basics on how it works, what to look for, what is normal and abnormal and then how to deal with what you find. I think it is possible to have a very clean and efficient gralloching technique but lack a lot of these skills.

The BDS over here ran a hands on gralloch demonstration day back in January. It was very interesting for any of us who haven't managed to get their first deer yet.:oops:

They are running a butchery & cooking night in a few weeks time so looking forward to that also.

FL

It would be good to see this kind of thing more widely available. Especially instruction/training on the lymphatic system and some basics on how it works, what to look for, what is normal and abnormal and then how to deal with what you find. I think it is possible to have a very clean and efficient gralloching technique but lack a lot of these skills.

I did a course with Jon Snowdon up in Northumberland. Very informative and a chance to get some hands on experience. 2 red Hinds gralloched by the group.

I also did this day with MJD, very informative and was good to get some real world experience from a very friendly and knowledgeable chap. Suspended and field grallochs were demonstrated in slow time, with all the glands etc. pointed out and then we were given a red hind each to prepare ourselves under supervision. We must have done OK as they all went to the game dealer later in the day. Well worth it I would say and a big thanks to Ian, I think I will be back for some stalking at some point!

What was his fee ?

The cost for the day was £50 each (there were three of us).

ATB gents

I got Ian to show me how to gralloch last year, afterwards I felt that I could do with a bit more hands on experience so I did around 16 Reds & Fallow on a deer park cull.

atb Tim

The BDS over here ran a hands on gralloch demonstration day back in January. It was very interesting for any of us who haven't managed to get their first deer yet.:oops:

They are running a butchery & cooking night in a few weeks time so looking forward to that also.

FL
WELL DONE a very good move, there is no need for the RED Face foxyloxy every man or woman on this site have at one time been in exactly the same position :thumb:

Last edited:
I'm planning to go back to Ian for more stalking and, hopefully this time, some gralloch/butchering training. We came away without a deer the first time I went, though I still learned a huge amount and I can only recommend Ian highly for his teaching ability and hospitality.

I also did one of these courses with Ian before starting level 2,just gave me the confidence that my technique was OK for level 2,well worth the time and money......

I got Ian to show me how to gralloch last year, afterwards I felt that I could do with a bit more hands on experience so I did around 16 Reds & Fallow on a deer park cull.

atb Tim

How did you get involved with the deer park cull???, I'm looking to do some gralloch training (I'm just doing my DSC1) wouldn't want to shoot (haven't decided on my first rifle yet), but if somebody would be willing to take on a spare pair of hands, I'm willing to do the donkey work?? Its important to me that I'm 100% sure of the correct/safe way to gralloch before I stalk by myself....

Thanks
BR

Back