Sauer safety

A few days ago there was a post regarding the sauer safety position, i stated that once you have got used to it it is in the perfect position just lift your finger and you are ready to shoot.Yesterday Robin and i went out to look for a couple of fallow prickets to butcher for our landowners, we went to a permission where robin normally stalks and i wait in ambush,this time we decided to swap places and i was to stalk, i waited until robin was i position and then started stalking the wood, very slowly i made my way along a track watching the wind direction and glassing every hundred yards or so.
I heard the report of a rifle and Robin came on the radio and said one down so it was all up to me now, on reaching the top of the wood i turned to the left where the track was a little less defined and covered in dry leaves so progress was very slow, i eventually reached a larger track which was now going down hill and i had the wind in my face, so i stopped and glassed the woods in front of me and saw a group of fallow walking towards me
I set up the sticks and watched each animal as it came closer, at first i could only see does but then i saw a nice pricket, the group kept walking towards me so i had no chance of a heart/lung shot, the does kept coming and the lead animal was within twenty feet of me so i placed the cross hairs between the eye of the pricket and squeezed the trigger, nothing happened, yes you guessed it, the safety was still on, the lead doe now within ten feet of me gave out a loud bark and the group took off, what a dick head, robin came on the radio to say at least 30 animals passed his seat flat out with no chance of stopping them.
I still think the safety release is in the perfect position as long as you remember to use it.
We a going out tomorrow to do it all again,
cheers Geoff

Love my sauer 202 hate the safety, it's ok when you are on deer but for unloading not so good.For the money it should be set up better.

What is there to hate about it? Smooth silent and the trigger sited button is just perfect for me.

I've just bought another but it's got a noisey safety , my other two haven't and can't understand why , it's the alloy type , does this make any difference ? Any advise would be great , good design and fault less , wouldn't buy anything else , thanks bri

Only ever used one the once and didn't like it ,love the roll two stage safety on the mannlichers but then others hate them ? So you get used to what you use I suppose at the end of the day .if you forget to cycle a round or push safety to fire it's not going to fire :lol: We've all done it !
#frustrating
norma

Hated my 202 from the day I got it. Two reasons why, the safety being within the trigger guard and the weight of the rifle. To me its the worst design of a safety ever but each to their own

Al

I have a Sauer 200 - it's been with me now since Feb 1988, possibly one of the first in the country. I still think it has a great safety and it's never caused me any problem, plus it's capable of 1/4MOA accuracy (although I'm not these days), doesn't come much better than that.

I have both.....a Saucer 202 and a Mannlicher Prohunter. Both rifles are great pieces of kit and group well with the right loads. Yes you cannot load or unload the Sauer with the safety on but you would never do either without the rifle pointing in a safe direction no matter what kind of safety mechanism it has.

When ready to take a shot you then release the safety.... It doesn't matter where the safety catch is if you have not remembered to release it then you won't take the shot.

Mulac

I have the sauer 202 outback, love it, the safety in my opinion is spot on! It's so natural to simply lift your finger to silently release the safety and take your shot.

No problems with it at all, smooth and quiet and able to maintain the sight picture through the scope through the whole process.
I can see why some used to other mechanisms may be wary or not like it but once used to it its grand.

Love my Sauer 202, however would not say the safety is silent, definitely can be heard to disengage with a click, deer never hear it though. :evil: deerwarden

Love my Sauer 202, however would not say the safety is silent, definitely can be heard to disengage with a click, deer never hear it though. :evil: deerwarden

There is absolutely no sound when I move the safety on my 202. If starts becoming a problem it might be worth getting it checked out.

Mulac

When i used to take out clients a chap placed his Sauer 202 onto the sticks, top fork pushed into trigger guard, safety button pressed, trigger pressed, off went a .270 bullet onto a hill side 500 yards away, i glassed the hill looking for a sheep on its back! So i am not a fan of the safety.
Cheers
Richard

I like the safety on my 202. It does take a bit of getting used to. Having used it now for about 6 years, I really like the lack of an audible click. I used a cz 550 for about 10 years and the one aspect I didn't like was the ear shattering click when the safety was disengaged. Nearly required hearing protection before the shot was fired!

What is there to hate about it? Smooth silent and the trigger sited button is just perfect for me.
Perfect when you are about to take a shot not so good when unloading I don't like the fact that your finger is in front of the trigger in the trigger guard when the guns safety is off. Would rather have a safety that you can lift the bolt with the safety still on for unloading.

Have had a 202 in 243 my first proper deer rifle for 6 years now . I like the safety system it’s clear when you look at it plus you have the secondary check that while looking through the scope you can confirm with your trigger finger what position the safety is in.

Back