17 HMR moderator

TAZANIMAL

Ok what is the quietest [FONT=Verdana, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]moderator on the market for a the17 i have put in for a 17 and a 22 i went out for a trial the 22 seemed to be wonderful with subsonic amo but the 17
was just the loudest thing on earth at 2500fps the sound barrier gets a big hit it seemed to out do a 6.5x55 a 70 yard bunny just fell over now here is the rub his mates did the off
thanks for looking
taz
torque of the devil
[/FONT]

A SAK is about the most cost effective. A LEI can match the dia of some barrels and look reet sexy.
To be honest the term 'quietest' is often subjective so everyone swears their choice of mod is the quietest..............

Don't spend too much money on a mod for an HMR, beyond a certain point you won't see a noticeable return for your investment.

Hardy (Riflecraft) do a dedicated .17 moderator V light and quiet, expensive for an HMR. Meant more for the centre fire market but I'm sure v good on an HMR.

I did some reserch and the Wildcat Whisper is aparently the quiet one bt its all relative as its still damed loud

Its a quality bit of kit with a price that reflects that, and it looks the nuts but frankly its still damed loud.

Stick stingers through your 22 and you will hear the problem. Any buillet that breaks the sound barrier will go bang

They must use very slow 9mm amo on TV :D

ATB

I have had a DM-80 moderator in .17HMR for some 7 years now and it works well, but no moderator will moderate the sound of the supersonic crack the bullet makes after it has left the barrel and moderator.

My mate and I both shoot HMRs... I have a CZ him a Savage .... with Sak mods.... he recently acquired a T12 mod and tried it on the HMR.. boy did it make a difference... eliminating the sharp crack from the shot.. substantially quieter than the Sak on mine. We were both really impressed. Yes it is about twice the weight of the Sak but he thinks that it is worth it for the noise reduction.

David.

ASE Utra Rimfire is the best I've tried out of SAK, Sirocco and ASE, also tried the early DM80 off my hornet on my 0.22WMR recently and the ASE beat it hands down, accuracy wise too.

ive got a utra on my .22lr and it is very good but to be honest for the price of a sak i would find it hard to warrent buying anthing else

Hardy (Riflecraft) do a dedicated .17 moderator V light and quiet, expensive for an HMR. Meant more for the centre fire market but I'm sure v good on an HMR.

+1 on tye rifle craft mod, use this on my 17 and does exactly what you want. Nothing wrong with the others but but id you are using a 17 with a shorter varmit barrel 16" then you need to be careful as the barrel length is to short to avoid the mussel flash burning out the baffles on a cheaper mod thats not made from a good quality steel. Benn there and done it to speak from experience.

The best we've heard is the MAE Extreme - it's rated up to .17 centrefire, but at £275 it's the most expensive rimfire mod out there.

You'll struggle to tell the difference between a SAK and a more expensive mod unless the conditions are right - it's almost certainly the sound the round is making after its left the moderator that's bothering you.

On open ground where the sound waves have nothing to bounce off then the more expensive mods will sound fractionally quieter. The minute there's a few trees or buldings though you won't know the difference.

More importantly the more expensive mods tend to have more concentric threading jobs - poor threading jobs in cheap mods create uneven air pressure around the projectile as it leaves the moderator (especially in dedicated .17 mods) which destabilises the projectile and affects the accuracy of an already temperamental round.

Whatever you get, make sure you can strip it down every 50 rounds or so. .17HMR is a filthy round and will quickly gum up any moderator with deposits unless serviced. When I strip down the ASE Utra I have, its pretty shitty inside and also shows signs of dampness or condensation. I think the powder deposits attract moisture from the air.

I've also used a SAK on the CZ. I can't tell the difference. You'll get 2.5 SAKS for one UTRA. Makes them almost disposable. Interesting earlier comment about the shorter Varmint barrel causing early burnout of a mod. I hadn't considered that.

I am confused by test data?

It states in comparison Whisper is 23db noise reduction and another mod is 28?

So does that meen the others reduce 5db more than the whisper or 5db less?

IE the bang from the Whisper is 23 db and the bang from a SB11 is 28?

Reserching Db it apears 5db is hardly worth worrying about but it would be nice to know.

ATB

Chasey

Back