thoughts on a rebuild project

User00003

I have a potential candidate for a rebuild project, currently an old FN 98 Mauser action Schultz and Larsen in a short custom stock (to be scrapped), chambered in 6.5x55 swede with an Otterup barrel that's not worn out, but seen a bit of the world so to speak!

any thoughts on what to do with it? I was thinking new stock, trigger work/replacement, new barrel in a more exciting chambering (6.5-284 or other).

open to suggestions and any crazy thoughts you may have.

Why think about a 6.5 x284, its a renowed long distance cal. It would be wasted on you if your other posts are anything to go by:D
Al

ho ho ho, very good ;)

I was actually thinking it might be a good chambering for a small plains game rifle, or for a bit of plinking.

If you do pick a "moderne" ... short and fat's, where it's at... kinda case, like 6.5-284, be warned, they seldom feed quite as nicely as the favourite oldies... (mine's OK.. ish) but if you're messin' around on the "plains" a bad feeding rifle could make for a very upsetting last few moments of your life... just a thought.:D

Modern short and fat cases are great, and produce good accuracy, but they run at high pressures, In a hot African climate the last thing you want is extraction problems, caused by overpressure. Better to run a larger case at a lower pressure to achieve the same result.

i dont think he will be shooting Buffalo or DG with a 6.5xAnything that will necessitate life threatening "reload or die" scenarios!

you should go through my brass collection and look at some interesting chamberings!
6.5-284 looks interesting
equally the 7x64

Not very original but why not build a really nice 6.5 x 55!! Everything will fit a new barrel will be great, the magazine will feed well and it will always be a classic.

David.

I don't know what PKL really fancies shooting with this "project" rifle ... but , having given it a bit of thought, in his circumstances I'd be thinking hard about the world wide applicability of .338 Federal.

Case length and bolt face size should be no serious problem, case availablity on new cases might be an issue but a resized .308win is the easy option.

Load a slow(ish) 180 grainer for a comfy, sub 150m, Deer round and a fully loaded 250 grainer looks like it would do nicely for Europe boar (inc France) and bigger stuff beyond (including the Plains of Africa). Those .338's come with some lovely ballistics too, you know.

i dont think he will be shooting Buffalo or DG with a 6.5xAnything that will necessitate life threatening "reload or die" scenarios!

you should go through my brass collection and look at some interesting chamberings!
6.5-284 looks interesting
equally the 7x64

I've got a 6.5-284 and I will not be taking it to Africa to shoot game.

What one might "expect" on the plains is not necessarily what one will get.

Not very original but why not build a really nice 6.5 x 55!! Everything will fit a new barrel will be great, the magazine will feed well and it will always be a classic.

David.

That was my thought.

Why not leave it as a Swede but have it configured for you as you'd like it. (Easy to get ammo for anywhere and a very capable calibre).

Having said that I'll agree with Tamus that 7x64 is interesting: Got one on order.

ATB,

Scrummy

That was my thought.

Why not leave it as a Swede but have it configured for you as you'd like it. (Easy to get ammo for anywhere and a very capable calibre).

Having said that I'll agree with Tamus that 7x64 is interesting: Got one on order.

ATB,

Scrummy

Excellent cartridge as the 7x64 is, I didn't actually suggest it, on the grounds that it may be a little long for the action and magazine under discussion.

Of course, the 6.5 Swede is also excellent and is definitely the obvious choice if deer are the game to be shot.

My own 6.5-284 gets used on Sika and long shots, cos yes... I do sometimes elect to take those. In fact my rifle would make a very nice Chamois/Mountain rifle too as it's configured nice and light with a 3-9x36 Swaro (in one piece mounts) on top.

appreciate all input and ideas, keep them coming!

I should have mentioned, I need something that complements a 30-06 not crosses over excessively if possible.

Edit: what about a 280 AI? would it take a lot to convert? should be good for both sika, reds, and light plains game I should think, plus, maybe some plinking?...

Last edited:
I am using the 280ai, archer barrel 1:8.5 twist its working great with 120gr 168gr 175gr and 180gr. The nosler brass is working well to. Only problems may be the shoulder angle on the cartridge and feeding through the mag. I dont push the loads so i am not really seeing much advantage over the standard .280.

If your barrels still in good nick could you rechamber for 6.5-06?

I should have mentioned, I need something that complements a 30-06 not crosses over excessively if possible.

Edit: what about a 280 AI? would it take a lot to convert? should be good for both sika, reds, and light plains game I should think, plus, maybe some plinking?...

Ok, now you're confusing me, when you say "complements a .30-06"

The 280rem and/or it's AI version and a long enough barrel pretty much "replicates" .30-06

And... again the question of OAL length crops up as it does with the 7x64. If it fits, fine, but it won't allow you the variety of bullets that your '06 already does and it seems to me, it won't give you any obvious reason to take it out of the cabinet rather than the '06 except that it would be legit in France on game, like the 7x64 (for which ammo is more readily available on the continent)

In that case how about a .257 Roberts?

I've always thought that was probably a better cartridge than either .243 or .25-06.

Set back a turn and freshen up the chamber/throat. Or leave it alone! I'll be shooting long distance prairiedogs with my 6,5x55 this weekend.~Muir

I will be inheriting another 6.5x55 swede that will stay in its chambering, so this one will change form I'm afraid.

I really like the thought of a 257 Roberts actually, a good middle ground between the .222/.243 and the 30-06. With 100g or 115g'ers sounds like a good roe/sika/red calves and hinds option.

also like the 7x64 idea, but may be excessively close to the aught six

Ahhh yes .257 Roberts :cool: I believe it's actually more popular than some believe. I nearly had a rifle built in this chambering by Bremmer Arms before their sudden demise. Probably fairly easy to find a gunsmith/rifle builder with the reamer and gauges already to hand which will make it more cost effective than if they have to be brought in.

a 6mm or 6.5mm compliments the -06 IMO
classic 6mm/3006 or .308 or 6mm/.270

doesnt matter if you go .243 or something more exotic
if the 06 does 150 - 220gn something that has a slight overlap in bullet range could work.

25-06
6.5x55
.260 rem

all good choices

Back