A glorious day, and a gent Colin solway stalker

Spoke to Colin a couple of days ago about a goat and a buck stalk and how the bucks are shaping up still as some are reporting seeing some bucks due to this warm weather. He mentioned he might be going to Skye for a couple of days. It's hard for me to book stalking in advance due to work but Colin as a gent fitted me in.
on the way up the m6 I stopped off at a couple off hot ots I regularly see deer seen seen a few and started to think wish I had brought my shorts as I was sweting, anyway met up with Colin at time and place quick chat loaded and off.
Putting the world to rights and the possibility of Scotland becoming independent enough there.
arrived at the estate and off we went to where we normally see the goats. First viewing pointing nothing, second viewing point we seen four. Colin indicated lets see around the other side first before we decide on which group we'll stalk into. Second group we seen were on a almost impossible task face, probably would of needed climbing gear and I didn't fancy while up for the challenge getting there and spooking them. So decided upon the first group. A quick chat and we were off, decided upon view points to glass the goats. By this time the sun was hot.
(one thing I have learned stalking with Colin is finding view points mapping your route sticking to them)
Off we were, regular stops looks and off again. Once at at point we seen a heard of goats and initially thought they had moved up, bugger as it would of ment another 600 yards and sky line. We stalked a further 150 yards to see what time we could do it in. By this time my t-shirt was dripping in swet. Got to our final point and decided we may have been seen and the contenplation of hiking all the way up felt a sxxt but what a beautiful view. As I turned around we seen a group of seven goats that was unaware of us. By this distance we were 500 yards away. Several positions we noted were possible good shooting points. Off down a little and off again up the what felt like mount everest. Got to out position what seemed like no time surprising how fast you can move when actually on to your target(s). We were at out last closest postion, goats unaware and couldn't risk going any further. By this we were roughly 220 yards. Wasn't in a comfortable postion to take a shot as needed a breath. Colin was keeping an eye as I composed myself. Found a suitable goat for me to take. They were moving quite a bit, up, down, left and right. Cross hairs on and off a round went. Strike, goat hunched up looking unstead. Wasn't totally convinced of the shot but couldn't get another shot as the other goats surround the one I struck, o sxxt, I tough. Huddled together for approx five minutes they separated. The group ventured off to the right and the struck goat moved left steadily wasn't staying still for another shot. It stood on a rock and appeared to crouch down. A youngster came up to it calling for it. Which shown good signs as it was down. We decided to wait five minutes instead of possibly pushing it further into the wilderness. By this time the youngster was still ccalling it but run off once we came closer. Applying caution up agin on over we seen the goat and a conformation eye check was confirmed another successful cull. The shot was a touch low of the engine room but it was down and grolloched back down the mountain. Thighs burning, knees pounding we arrived back at the vehicle point. A 3 hour round trip stalk and felt pleased. Colin asked was I ok to continue for a buck,
let's go for it. Off we went to a point Colin suggested which is a good view point to look down on.arrived and waited but nothing appearing apart from a doe. Coling said let's move to another section before the sun comes down. As arrived Colin noticed two does, glass ing steadily we seen another but not enough evidance to prove a buck. After several minutes a buck was identified.
another plan and odd we were as close to 300 yards away. Found out ponint with the roe unaware of us. Another confirmation look and we found the buck approx 170 yards, we couldn't get any further as only sure we'd spook the deer. The two doe's were moving away at a slow pace and looking back for the buck to follow them. I new this would have to be a quick shot if to present its self. After a minute the buck showed a broadside for a few seconds bt never took the shot. Working its way away from us I initially thought as the direction it was in no chance. Buck stopped
Turned right down a little up then left without realising another round was on its way. The buch run 35 yards and down. Watched for 5 minutes and nothing. Off to see my rewards and grolloched. By this time I was done. Gear loaded off and away.

A great day, hope the read was likeable etc..
we seen a total of 18 goats six billies over 12 inch antlers/horns. Several deer seen.
totaly buggered.
Colin is a true gent, great crack and clearly knows his ground.

Colin like said I'm back up there this winter for does and hinds and a boar, drinks are on me and a meal if chosen at Mabie house..

Colin is kindly going to put pictures on here for me.

really well done!!

its something i have a hunger to do it wild goat ... but i fear i would die trying to get up that hill lol lol

thanks for showing

really well done!!

its something i have a hunger to do it wild goat ... but i fear i would die trying to get up that hill lol lol

thanks for showing

You do need a certain level of fitness, but it's a steady pace of a climb. Trust me once you see them the desire to stalk, walk and climb will drive you on.

I must admit it was a struggle for me as I'm carrying a bit of lard at the moment, but 1 foot in front of the other & I got there. But it was worth it, felt really elated afterwards.

Second picture, right side of the lake at the bottom is were we set off from. A challange and well deserved.
wasnt at the top quite, thankfully. Doesn't get much better, don't forget your camera.
Well done Martin,that looks a fair stroll :D.
dave

Back