First Sea Trout of 2015

devon deer stalker

Finally after 7 visits i got my first Sea Trout this year from the river Teign in Devon.
Luckily this one only had a tiny bit of disease on it's head, but we have a lot in this year that have a lot of disease, things should improve as the river warms up though.

Cheers
Richard

Nice fish, ours (sewin in Wales) have arrived but I've not connected yet, I'm a bit distracted by the mayfly right now.

Nice one, A cracking bright fish, Tail like a shovel bet it went a bit?
Cant wait to start on the night fishing and lift into some nice fresh fish, next week hopefully
Well done !

Bob

Thanks, it was out of the water more than it was in!
Bad luck for it really as i always eat the first one i catch, the bulk i return to the river.
Cheers
Richard

Not had a sea trout ... Thrash water wi a fly on local trout ponds once a blue moon that's my knowledge ...
Would love to catch a sea trout !
Had them hot smoked 😜!!!

Bonny fish well done

Paul

That brings back memmories and agree they always seem to spend more time in the air than in the water, lost no end of small ones.

I rarely keep them but haven't fished for them for several years, however my parents live very close to one of the best sea trout rivers in the country so I should have a go next time I am up north.

D

3lb exactly, 1'' stoats tail tube fly.
Cheers
Richard

Can`t go wrong with the stoats tail in any of it`s guises :thumb:

If you tie your own, try tying in a Red or Yellow throat hackle , if the takes dry up change the fly for one of the same with a different coloured throat hackle seems to work for me !

Cheers

Bob

Thats a cracking looking fish. I cant say I've ever caught a sea trout with disease. Is this the same disease (UDN) that we sometimes find on spawned salmon, seems a bit peculiar on a fresh run sea trout? I would be keen to hear what causes this.

Thats a cracking looking fish. I cant say I've ever caught a sea trout with disease. Is this the same disease (UDN) that we sometimes find on spawned salmon, seems a bit peculiar on a fresh run sea trout? I would be keen to hear what causes this.
A cause for UDN Ulcerative Dermal Necrosis has never really been proven. The thoughts behind it is that the fish bruise and damage themselves when stuck in a cold low water system for a while or travelling up river when they cannot avoid impacts and with stress adding to the condition. When these lesions occur Saprolegnia which is actually a fungus can take hold of the fish and does/will kill them. I would expect Richards sea trout does have UDN alone that can vanish when the fish finishes its travel and its stress level declines.

Nice fish for the pan Richard, great sport and eating.

Tight Lines. Gaz

Spot on Gaz, that's as i understand it and the EA's reason, but as you say some guess work involved, but there are a huge amount with it in the rivers of the SW this year.
BTW, i am typing this late as i have just got in from.....Sea Trout fishing, no luck tonight.

Thanks Bob i will try that.

Cheers
Richard
A cause for UDN Ulcerative Dermal Necrosis has never really been proven. The thoughts behind it is that the fish bruise and damage themselves when stuck in a cold low water system for a while or travelling up river when they cannot avoid impacts and with stress adding to the condition. When these lesions occur Saprolegnia which is actually a fungus can take hold of the fish and does/will kill them. I would expect Richards sea trout does have UDN alone that can vanish when the fish finishes its travel and its stress level declines.

Tight Lines. Gaz

Tight Lines. Gaz

Thanks for that, every day is a school day..

Spot on Gaz, that's as i understand it and the EA's reason, but as you say some guess work involved, but there are a huge amount with it in the rivers of the SW this year.
BTW, i am typing this late as i have just got in from.....Sea Trout fishing, no luck tonight.

Thanks Bob i will try that.

Cheers
Richard
That's interesting as well as concerning that there is a lot of diseased fish about with you this year Richard. Haven't had a chance this year to fish the river (Dovey) or catch up with some locals that live on the river to know if they are experiencing the same. Will reply when I find out. Cheers Gary

Managed my first one two weeks ago, from the Rhymney, nice clean fish but only a shade under 2lbs.
ATB Lee

Had a few Sea Trout at night from the River Wenning, Lancs. back in the early nineties. Teal Blue and Silver always did it for me. !
Your fish is a beauty, very well done !

Back