How to stalk?

Gouldie69

Hello to all,
Before you set upon me with the dogs, I'm a newbie!

Where I now live is not where I grew up so I don't know the land, the area, the people that well. I am only a vermin shooter (with rifle .177HMR) and always been more into guns with two barrells.

So, back in the day while out with the rifle or shotgun I have seen plenty of local wildlife in my homeland in the SW of England.
Now I am in the Ribble Valley, Forest of Bowland area in Lancashire (North West Engalnd). I want to start to learn the art of stalking proper. (I've joined this forum as one inroad).

My first question of many to come is this;
What is the best way for me to start to observe the local wildlife in its local environment?
I have only seen Roe Deer in my past yet I believe this area has Sika and maybe other. I do not know their habbits (I will be reading up on it as I write). What I guess I am getting at is, can I just pop out whenever I get an hour or two and walk the area with bino's? Is there an etiquete? I know there is the 'Right to roam' but I know this is controversial and I don't want this thread to become a debate about it. I just want some honest opinions on what I should do, how I should start? I have a couple of small permissions for rabbit but I feel I want to get into the forests. I don't want to get shot (accidentally), shouted at etc and then ruin my relationship with local land owners, syndicates etc but I don't know where the farms are, who owns them, who has rights etc.

I think you have the answers I need.

Thank you in advance.
Richard

I'll be honest
Book yourself some stalking trips with a recommended stalking guide
You will learn more in a couple of outings than you would imagine
That way it may also help you understand some of the replies you may get in greater detail
Wish you luck in your new adventure

I'll be honest

Stone,
Thanks for your reply - where do I find this 'recommended guide'? Who does the recommending? - sorry if this sounds daft but I'm serious.

Have a look in the stalking opportunities section mate and see who is close to you - contact them and ask if they can take you stalking for the first time and what the costs will be.
Daz

basic's, try to get out 1st light and last light, have wind in your face move slowly and silent and glass alot. as they say walk a little look alot. thats the bare basics but as stone said book with a pro, i came on leaps and bounds after i did.
stav

where abouts are you in the ribble valley,i live in clitheroe, if you like i can take you on a walk in a public forrest where you should see roe and sika and show you the ropes abit,but i must be honest i only take very good mates out on my permisions ,who i can trust 100%,but like i say i can have a walk with you ,give me a pm if you like.

I'll be honest
You will learn more in a couple of outings than you would imagine
That way it may also help you understand some of the replies you may get in greater detail
Wish you luck in your new adventure
+1

In reality it's not really much different than stalking deer as to stalking into a rabbit with an airgun. Like stav said first and last light with wind in your face are the basics, if u search on here for other similar topics and u'll see plenty off really good advice.

I think the basc used to do quite a few intro to stalking days (i went to a carcus handling/butchery day a few years ago, which was excellent) often based at grizzledale forest, be a good intro, if u check their site, althou that was when steve was running the northern branch and organised quite a few different events.

The fc at grizzledale take clinents out and all the rangers seemed very nice people and good craic, also there was a fella johnathon standing from ??(cannae bloody mind where he's from now, its on tip off my tounge, its on the west coast not that far from u somewhere) also has a very good rep in your area. But plenty of very good guides advertise on this site

Good luck with it, but u'll prob find if u do a bit of shotgun shooting once u start stalking and talking about it u'll met folk u've ken't for years also stalk and u never realised it.

I'd recommend joining BDS in the North West (The British Deer Society) and doing the Level one certificate in October, the contacts there should help and the information from the course is excellent

Buchan, thanks - I have already made roads into this but due to lack of available holidays left I will have to wait until next year but no worries, I can swat up. I got the DSC1 questions the other night and had a go at answering them to guage how much I really know (not much!) so, thanks to all your input on this thread I think I now have a beter chance of getting out there and 'learning by doing'

All good tips guys. - for me it's the walking and chatting with more experienced guys in their professions that I find the most enjoyable way of learning so getting out there is what I wanna do. I don't even necessarily want to 'stalk' on the first outings - just be there!

Hi Gouldie

Also the great thing about going on the ground with an experienced guide/gamekeeper is they can show you how to spot sign of deer..which is useful to be able to identify.

Also being aware you may only see an ear moving or a swish of a Fallow tails is useful also as helps train your eyes what to look for.

where abouts are you in the ribble valley,i live in clitheroe, if you like i can take you on a walk in a public forrest where you should see roe and sika and show you the ropes abit,but i must be honest i only take very good mates out on my permisions ,who i can trust 100%,but like i say i can have a walk with you ,give me a pm if you like.

PM'd

Hi Gouldie

Also the great thing about going on the ground with an experienced guide/gamekeeper is they can show you how to spot sign of deer..which is useful to be able to identify.

Also being aware you may only see an ear moving or a swish of a Fallow tails is useful also as helps train your eyes what to look for.

This is the kind of things i'm after. Bushcraft! I remember when I used to first go after rabbits at dusk I couldn't see a thing but they were there. Now I pick them out no problem even in a field a few weeks after cut grass and full of thistles. It's honing in to those little movements and colour changes in the thicket.

The forestry commission has a long history of allowing public access to their (our!) forests and there is actually good provisions eg carparks, marked paths etc in the Bowland area. Take some walks over at Gisburn forest nr Tosside when ever you get a chance, try get off the beaten track and just move slowly and use your eyes/bins ALOT! We we doing some felling in there back in Jan, saw roe moving nearly everyday from the roads, especially on the large clearfell/regen by the timbre mill next to Tosside.

Helping 'New' entrants into things is part of the ethos of this forum - so never be afraid to ask.

Occasionally posters do rub people the wrong way on here - but not detected any of that in anything you have put. Just stay ultra polite in written word - as the nuances of body language/ tone etc are lost and humour can go astray ( speaks the voice of experience :oops: ). Also dont forget the search function.

I think many interested people are put off by a combination of simply not knowing where to start and the 'fear' of the unknown in actually making any start!

Stalking and SD like everything else in life is made up of lots of different characters - some with a capital 'C' and many opinions. There is rarely just one way to do something - but its a passionate sport and that comes out in views at times.

Unfortunately, there are lots of issues surrounding stalking and stalking permissions in particular - so people tend to be extremely guarded at the outset - don't take this personally. Follow the forum and post when appropriate - that way people will get a good measure of you on here.

The BDS do tend to be very good on a Regional level organising local events. All the main organisations have issues/ pros & cons. You can make your own mind up about that as time goes on, but membership of the BDS will potentially give you a very good start.

Actual stalking is a very personal thing. Without delving into the psy/physi ' ologies of ancient man hunter/ gatherer etc - some people instinctively have it near from the off, others take a while to develop their style. In terms of learning generally the best stalkers never stop! They all had to start somewhere.

Boots in the dirt, an open mind and the best kit you can afford will pay off in the long run.

On a personal basis, I believe it would be very useful and interesting if you felt able to do update posts every so often - just setting out how things are working for you. Most often we see a post from a new starter then either hear no more or just pick up with them again a few years down the line as a 'normal' contributor.

Actually getting some insight into how newcomers get on would, I think, be very helpful to others - both the silent newcomers and those with more experience that are seeking to help - with advice on here or otherwise. It may well help temper down some of the posts that have appeared in the past that ultimately prove so off-putting to people.

In no way a demand, just a thought to consider.

Good luck

Helping 'New' entrants into things is part of the ethos of this forum - so never be afraid to ask.

On a personal basis, I believe it would be very useful and interesting if you felt able to do update posts every so often - just setting out how things are working for you. Most often we see a post from a new starter then either hear no more or just pick up with them again a few years down the line as a 'normal' contributor.

Actually getting some insight into how newcomers get on would, I think, be very helpful to others - both the silent newcomers and those with more experience that are seeking to help - with advice on here or otherwise. It may well help temper down some of the posts that have appeared in the past that ultimately prove so off-putting to people.

In no way a demand, just a thought to consider.

Good luck

I hear your thoughts entirely. I might think of starting a blog on this then? - One mans attempt (whether I succed or fail) it may contain useful info for silent others. What worked for me, or what didn't and let others make their choices / comment. I have another forum entry for car restoration. it's a good record for my own use but also others share in overcoming. But more often than not people post to it with problems but never come back with what they finally decided was the solution that works. - i hope to not just slope off silently.

I will have to start soon before, hopefully things take off proper.

i will post on here for now.

Plans so far:

Already an annual member of BASC. (From shotgun shooting) - have to check if insurance covers all disciplines.
Join BDS (all being well this weekend)
Sign up for DCS1 (already tried but I cannot do it this year, no holidays left, and my region do not have dates as yet for next year.)
I am fortunate to get some good hygene, carcas inspection training as my father is a butcher. 'Most' of the safety I can cover from my years shotgunning.

I have a couple of PM's from people on here. (I must respect their wishes to remain private)
An offer to meet up
An offer to put me in touch with a good mentor
Potentail to join a syndacate

Other;
I need some good bino's - anyone recommend something to get me started?
Rifle of calibre and Ticket with variation appropriate to needs.

Permission from the wife!

All in all, I have gained much more from this forum than i initially though I would and I've only been on it for a couple of days. It's a credit to the members and the Forum keepers. My entries will, I cannot lie, come and go as i usually go on them when I am away with work and layed up in a hotel. I am homeward bound tonight and looking forward to a weekend with the family. I am away again next week so hopefully I will be sittig in a hotel updating you all on what progress I have made over the week.

Have a good weeknd to all, stay safe.

Well I've been off the forum for a while as I have not been able to get involved as much as I hoped. Main reason was in November I as I had to give up my job for personal reasons and since have remained out of work. My focus is on new employment, not ruling out a job within this 'industry' should anyone be reading!
The job hunting went quiet around Christmas as expected so I hoped to just enjoy the festivities with family but I was then taken down with pneumonia. It's only really the end of Jan that I felt capable of doing much. Enough of that.

I managed to get out on two pheasant shoots through invitation which was pleasant and I have been out with the rimfire for rabbits but the wet has kept the numbers down and I observed more carrying mixy.

I did join the BDS and look forward to reading their mag. I'm careful about money at the mo, so, I bought my dad some stalking memoirs and rifle literature for my Dad as an Xmas present which he reported he enjoyed thoroughly, but now he's finished them I expect them to land back at my house soon!!

I've been on two forest walks during the day with my family; Spring Wood and Gisburn Forest. Both during daylight opposed to dawn/dusk but it's a start (slow I admit) to getting to know my surroundings.

I might look into the viability of DSC1 while I'm between jobs. First I thought I shouldn't spend the cash while income is low but, I went back to college in Jan for a 3 day course for something work related and enjoyed the break from unemployment, kept the mind active and gave me something to do for me. So, doing DSC will keep my mind working positively which, ultimately gives me a better chance with job searching.

I will contact a Forum Member via PM and chase up his offer of a walk that was posted some time ago.

I hope I can continue to update.

SteveOh - thank you for that. As you note - what we say and do do not always match - that applies to us all! I think we all at SD tend to forget what supposedly brings us together on occasion.

Gouldie69 - welcome back, good to hear from you again. Stick with it. :tiphat:

Back