High seat mod tip.

paulbshooting

A seat is a great 'tool' for spotting and culling from. I tried one of the £99 specials you find on the web and it was too low for me and a little wobbly. But I had it now!
Two 4" bits of angle steel to raise the bar height and bolting the shooting bar to the holes at the top of the seat instead of the bottom holes sorted it - see photo.
Great height now and more stable. I couldn't justify the cost of another seat from my usual UK built to supplier so £99 and some time in the garage did the business.
I also upgraded the bolts a size up from M6 to M8 (from memory) which fitted the existing holes (B&Q £15 lot for stainless), some pipe lag, duct tape and left over hammerite paint finished it off.
Off cut of foam found in garage saves the back. The remaining angle section was tacked under the seat and across back to take straps to tree and make rigid.
Might be a useful tip for others. Made a "cheap" seat into a great piece of kit that should endure the weather for a wee while. :D

View attachment 66308

Looks good, have you a front view?
007_zpse84449e7.jpg
008_zps0aa1c5f2.jpg

Tim.243

Well "silly me" bought 3 of these from A1 and they all suffer from the same problem, not instability, I can get over that but the angle that the ladder is fixed to the seat is such that it pitches you forward as though you are going to fall out all the time. Also as mentioned the bolts supplied are not up to the job and I found the shooting rail is way too low, I mentioned these concerns to A1 and guess what..... Nothing, they still sell loads of them.

ATB WB.

Well "silly me" bought 3 of these from A1 and they all suffer from the same problem, not instability, I can get over that but the angle that the ladder is fixed to the seat is such that it pitches you forward as though you are going to fall out all the time. Also as mentioned the bolts supplied are not up to the job and I found the shooting rail is way too low, I mentioned these concerns to A1 and guess what..... Nothing, they still sell loads of them.

ATB WB.

All my other seats have a pivot on the ladder so the seat can settle against the tree, the floating ladder doesn't fight the seat. Also I have a few blocks of 4x2 with a V notch so you can get the seat just right.

008_zps2a421185.jpg

Nothing worse than sitting on the wonk while the deer don't show...
Devil is in the detail....

Tim.243

Interesting how does it work? The pivot and the 4x2 tell me more please.

cheers WB.

In the last picture follow the ladder to where it meets the seat frame ( click on to enlarge the pic)
It pivots there on 8mm stainless bolts.
My seats rely on the contact of the 2 bits of tube at the back of the frame. (you could notch a bit of box to get a similar shape) The 4x2 block are only if a tree is leaning a bit off so they act as packers.
with the bottom of the ladder stamped in then it acts as an angled prop as well as a method to get up and down.
All ways use 2 straps if I use blocks but a nice upright tree the one is fine.
Finding the right tree in the right place is like pulling the fittest bird at the party...once in a life time lol

Tim.243

Well that is important but I must admit I like the big bench you guys have there. Makes for a good clean shot.

In the last picture follow the ladder to where it meets the seat frame ( click on to enlarge the pic)
It pivots there on 8mm stainless bolts.
My seats rely on the contact of the 2 bits of tube at the back of the frame. (you could notch a bit of box to get a similar shape) The 4x2 block are only if a tree is leaning a bit off so they act as packers.
with the bottom of the ladder stamped in then it acts as an angled prop as well as a method to get up and down.
All ways use 2 straps if I use blocks but a nice upright tree the one is fine.
Finding the right tree in the right place is like pulling the fittest bird at the party...once in a life time lol

Tim.243

Thanks for the info, I shall modify mine.....

cheers WB

Back