Out of the box sub-MOA at 1000yds (Not a typo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YukonT

Looking to lighten your pocketbook and put down deer before they hear the shot? Get two birds stoned at once with the new Best of The West Signature Series rifle. Advertised as sub-MOA at 1000yds out of the box.

This show is unreal; national champions making ridiculously long shots in the field . Here's a clip of an elk taken at 925 yards. :eek:

Sub MOA at 1000yds = sub MOA at 100yds. Most manufacturers will claim that accuracy with factory loads anyway

So sub MOA at 1000yds is saying that he gets less than a 10" group at 1000yds, not that good for shooting live animals.

As has been said, not for this site, would rather watch him stalk up to within 100-150 yds with some relative skill and then take the shot with his "Sub MOA rifle"

TJ

As David said its got to be wrong site for that crap.

Any arsehole who thinks that its acceptable to slot deer of any species at those kind of ranges is a complete and utter idiot, and most definitely has no respect for is quarry.
Lets not go into this again please

"Stalking Directory" NOT the place for this kind of shooting AT ALL!!!

Come back when you can stalk!!.

OR want to learn how to!!

Barry

Last edited:
"Stalking Directory" NOT the place for this kind of shooting AT ALL!!!

Come back when you can stalk!!.

OR want to learn how to!!

Barry

Before we all get to feeling too superior and overly critical. We need to realise that thousands of deer are harvested at 300yds+ all over the world every year. In some situations if you don't shoot them at 300yds+ you don't shoot them at all. Thousands of deer are harvested with muzzle loaders and shotguns, all around the world, again something else we get mighty sniffy about here in the UK.

Is either activity deer stalking? Thats not for me to dictate. What I do know is its definitely Deer Hunting. which is something I'm interested in learning about. Regardless of whether I would choose to shoot a bull elk at 925 yrds or not.

How you set about walking the tightrope of ethics and morals is a whole different subject matter.IMO

Sub MOA at 1000yds = sub MOA at 100yds. Most manufacturers will claim that accuracy with factory loads anyway

So sub MOA at 1000yds is saying that he gets less than a 10" group at 1000yds, not that good for shooting live animals.

As has been said, not for this site, would rather watch him stalk up to within 100-150 yds with some relative skill and then take the shot with his "Sub MOA rifle"

TJ

A MOA performance of 10" or less is perfectly adequate for harvesting bull elk who have an engine room the size of a large dinner plate. So the rifle in question is up to the task. What is the critical factor is the nut behind the butt. Anyone can dial up for distance, only the very skilled can adjust for the wind and get it first time, every time.

I think the main thrust of not wanting this type of hunting, depicted in this site, is because it does not fit the template of "Stalking " deer in the UK, I have no problem personally with distance shooting, as long as those distances are within the capabilities/skills of the operator............ A lot of people new to the sport, come here to learn & pass on their own experiences also, a video showing stuff that is not fitting with the aims of UK stalking, will inevitably cause some friction, as the saying goes , first impressions are usually the ones that take root, so I would not want this type of hunting to be the sort linked with "Stalking".

I think we all should be shooting at them at 1000yds plus and get our sport banned double quick time
Fecking Brilliant

Not about feeling superior, stalking, the perception of the word in this country is about stalking into a prey species and killing it, generally without it being aware of our presence, hunting is the bit before the stalk, "he hunted for a deer to stalk”, the act of killing s deer form a great distance does nothing to develop or test our skills nor does it give our quarries a sporting chance. Killing animals to control levels, harvest or humanly despatch is something else entirely, something we used to teach on our courses was how to deal with mistakes and RTA’s ECT.

Sorry if it's gone on for a bit BUT there is a difference and this is "The Stalking Directory" not a hunting directory and it would seem that the majority of folks on here are stalkers.

Nothing elitist just different level of respect for our quarries.

ATB Barry

I would be astounded if those new to the sport of deer hunting look towards this site as their one and only means of gathering information, advice or examples of deer hunters at work.
They will therefore be exposed to such examples as the one contained in the OP of this thread from numerous sources. Saying you don't want it on here doesn't negate the fact that its readily available else where. Would it therefore not be better to had it and allow those interested to express their concerns, advise caution and point out the potential hazards and dangers to those novices that might have otherwise been tempted to give it a go?

Is the aim to provide information and advice across the broad spectrum of what is deer hunting, or simply to limit that information and advice to the small sphere of what is considered acceptable to the 200 or so active posters of the forum?

Which does the novice a greater service and which moves the forum forward in its aims and objectives?

The Stalking Directory, those three words say it all, about stalking would you agree?......... why would you want to include live quarry shooting at 925 yards?

I think we all should be shooting at them at 1000yds plus and get our sport banned double quick time
Fecking Brilliant

A red hind shot at 1000yrd with a 7mm Mag and a red fox vixen shot at 500 yrds with a .223. The first has hundreds of people champing at the bit to voice their anger at, the second you have hundreds trying desperately to achieve in order to join the 500 club.

Condemn one, condemn all!

These idiots who put up piccies of slotting animals at exceeding distances such as this one portrayed here, I ask myself and I am sure others do as well ,How many animals have been injured and badly shot and suffered in the process.

We only see film shots of the succesfull ones dont we have you noticed that we never see those that go of to die an horrendous death.

Stupid ****s

it does make me laugh a bit chaps about the double standards we show in regards to our quarry. i dont condone what the chap in the video but did if this chap had just taken a 925 yrd fox we would all be cheering for him to take another regardless to the fact that it could have been injured and suffered a lingering death the same as the elk

it does make me laugh a bit chaps about the double standards we show in regards to our quarry. i dont condone what the chap in the video but did if this chap had just taken a 925 yrd fox we would all be cheering for him to take another regardless to the fact that it could have been injured and suffered a lingering death the same as the elk

Speak for yourself I wouldnt:eek:

I suppose it depends upon what your personal definition of thae word "stalking" happens to be.

If you went anywhere else in the world and stated you were a deer "stalker", the vast majority of people would think you were referring to some kind of odd criminal activity involving deer. If on the other hand you stated you were a deer "hunter" they would know precisely what you did.
Do UK stalkers respect their quarry any the more than all of the 10's of thousands of deer hunters as Barry suggest. I very much doubt it, having had the pleasure of knowing quite a number of them. Stalkers and hunters that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back