White spots on liver.

John_R

Hi all,

I shot my first CWD on Monday evening, and one lobe of the liver has white spots on it. They feel a bit like hard fat, but they don't shift easily. I cut into it, nothing inside looks bad to me. Do you think it is OK to eat this liver?

The doe looked very healthy, nice and chunky, plenty of body fat, I had to pull lots off the kidneys which I had for lunch yesterday.

liver.jpg

What did the portal lymph node look like? If it was infection wouldn't it show up in the lymph nodes? :confused:

Is there such a thing as fatty liver in deer? :-|

I am too new to this to know how to tell, hence raising the query. I am hoping to do some courses etc this year.

I'd bin in...

As in the entire carcass?

Just looked up a Best Practice picture of the portal lymph node... I certainly didn't see anything that stood out, but this was Monday evening and memory can be a dodgy thing!

Hi all,

I shot my first CWD on Monday evening, and one lobe of the liver has white spots on it. They feel a bit like hard fat, but they don't shift easily. I cut into it, nothing inside looks bad to me. Do you think it is OK to eat this liver?

The doe looked very healthy, nice and chunky, plenty of body fat, I had to pull lots off the kidneys which I had for lunch yesterday.

On it or in it? I can't quite tell from the pictures but it almost looks like scarring on the surface. If there are any of those white areas within the liver then I'd be concerned about a generalised infection at some point and TB has to be thought about.

Looks like TB to me was there any signs of blisters on the inside of the rib cage anywhere?

Chalky hard white lumps symptoms T.B its not Fluke thats for sure

Should be reported really if suspected T.B either way I personally would not eat the carcass and most certainly not to be put into the food chain. Definitely suspect

Last edited:
There are no signs of anything bad inside the rib cage, and these white lumps are only on the surface of the liver.

I did not see ticks on the carcass, and will have a look in the drip tray tomorrow.

It is hard to tell from the pictures but as I pmed you it does look like Av Tb.

I wouldnt eat the liver or feed it to the dogs etc.

The carcass should still be fine to eat so long as it is cooked thoroughly, personally though I most probably wont eat it.

It dosn't look to me that there is a lobe missing from the liver, you sure thats not its spleen?????

I have also looked again and I agree it looks like the spleen.

First time round I was just looking at the spots and discolouration, didnt even think about it not being a liver to start with

Back