Full length resized cases less than stated trim length.

charlieboy-shooter

Hi,

Have just resized 40 norma cases in .243. The trim length data I have states trim length of 2.035". Most of the cases I randomly measured are shorter than this, some are 2.0280".
When I come to use these cases what do I do????. Do I trim them all to the shortest measured case or what. I'm still very new to reloading so I don't know what effect there will be, but if I seat the bullet in different length cases to a set overall cartridge length would that make my batch of finished cartridges inconsistent and not ideal??
I'm in no rush to do anything with these cases but compared to the Hornady & Fiocchi cases I have fully resized they are mostly longer than the overall case dimmension for a .243 (2.045") and have required trimming.

Thanks

Charlie

Trim them all to the shortest length.

Alternatively, measure them. I looked at 45 243 AI Lapua cases yesterday. They measured between 2.010 inches and 2.018 inches. I didn't trim any of them. For a while now I have been trying to avoid trimming any cases and typically what I will do is pick a length and only trim cases that are longer than that length. When I was loading 243 Win rounds, I might typically only trim cases longer than 2.038 inches.

If you measure and the case length is acceptable to you, then you've save yourself three jobs, trimming, de-burring inside and de-burring outside. I shoot my loads out to 500m and I don't see the benefit in trimming, de-burring inside and outside for 3 or 4 thou variation in case neck length.

As you'll soon see, there are many ways to skin a cat in the field of reloading. The one thing I would strongly recommend, is to keep good records of your brass prep.

Have fun. JCS

Since they're under the maximum length just use as is.
Yes, a dose of OCD and you could trim the lot back but I'd not trim to less than the "trim to length" listed in the manual.

They will grow 4 to 5 fow on firing then another 4 to 5 fow on a fl sizing,they will soon need a trim,I bought some remy nickel cases,I've neck sized these,they have done a few firings and they are still shy of minimum trim length

For hunting purposes and 1 moa accuracy I don't bother to trim anything which is below stated trim length. I have never seen a difference between batches of trimmed/un-trimmed shooting upto 300 yds. And tbh I have never shot a deer beyond 160 yds so 1 moa more than adequate. They will grow soon enough and need trimming.

So long as their not over the 2.045 i never bother co's the other cases will soon "catch up" with the long one's i use Lapurs they do vary slightly in length but they still touch at 100yds

Like JSC I decide on a case length and trim to that length. Anything shorter I batch into similar lengths. As has been mentioned after a few firings and resizings you will be trimming them all.

Andy.

Back