Synthetic blood

andibrains

Is the sythentic blood that I have seen any good for scent training? Im training up my lab, I have waited till he was two on the advice of a friend who field trials his dog. I must admit he is learning extremely quickly, he had basic obedience from being a pup but only started retrieving and doing some more 'hunting' style excercise with him recently. I want to train him to scent and follow blood trails but dont have a ready supply of roe blood so was wondering wether the substitutes on the market actually work?

Would be grateful of anyones opinions or experiences

Cheers

Andi

Is the sythentic blood that I have seen any good for scent training? Im training up my lab, I have waited till he was two on the advice of a friend who field trials his dog. I must admit he is learning extremely quickly, he had basic obedience from being a pup but only started retrieving and doing some more 'hunting' style excercise with him recently. I want to train him to scent and follow blood trails but dont have a ready supply of roe blood so was wondering wether the substitutes on the market actually work?

Would be grateful of anyones opinions or experiences

Cheers

Andi

Is that a sincere question?

I too was about to ask a similar question.

I have just bought a tub of Waidwerk dried blood as a fall back if i am ever out of real blood...has any one used it?

regards steve

Hi
I did a tracking demo yesterday with real and dried bloods at Frampton yesterday.The real blood was to make sure that I did not make a total pratt of myself, the dried as a backup plan.Halfway though the demo Athur(Wirehaired Vis) stopped and acted as if there was a lie up or wound splash ,he then stuck his nose down and carried on .I was later told that the real blood had run out and the dried was then used.Dog knew there was a difference then thought ''hey I'll carry on it's still blood and the boss seems ok with what I'm doing''.
I train with it and sell Waidwerk dried blood.
PM me and Ill give you all the details
I will be sorting out an advert for this site so not to break any rules please watch out for it the company is called after a small asiatic deer.
Kit

I was wondering the same thing musty and tamus but just in case it is a good point that is asked a lot. It isnt as good as the real thing and can be dificult to mix at times. The time that it is good is if you have nothing else!
A good tip i could pass on, is if you dont have blood soak your deer feet in water over night and use the water.
The dried blood is primarily cows blood remember.
If you run out of blood on your demo kit how much were you using? sorry i couldnt stay to watch your demo but did enjoy our chat.
Mark.

Oh no, misunderestimated again. I understand using "dried" blood or washings. It was the "synthetic" bit I didn't get. Thought he was talking about "stage" blood or something. Ketchup would probably work though, going by my dug's fondness for all things... food.

I'm not a lover of anything different to what I want to train my dogs to follow and find
On one of my Dog days, A nice young man called Chris brought down some Synthetic blood to try,
set a short trail and then sent MarkH to test it (okay he volaunteered)
we were all a little sceptical about it
Lola his tracking dog made no bones about the scent and set along the trail superbly
I can't see it being a major concern as all you are doing is tracking to a scent from there on transfer to blood
I suppose it just the same basis as using Dummies before going onto game
But I don't think it's a substitute for blood for when you hav run out , as with dummies I found some dogs tended to ignore them once they had been trained on game
I think you would be better off freezing deer feet, hearts and lungs for this purpose
but will be interested in finding out if they use synthetic blood in competitions thou
ATB

Back