• 1oz butter
  • 2 onions peeled and chopped
  • 1 clove garlic crushed
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • 1 tbsp paprika
  • 1 tin chopped tomatoes
  • 1 green pepper cut into strips
  • 142ml carton soured cream

Melt the butter in a large frying pan and fry the onions and garlic until soft. Place in a dish to keep warm. Heat some oil in the same pan and quickly brown the steaks on both sides (the length of time depends on how you like your steak cooked). Put these on a different plate. I put them in the bottom oven of the Aga to keep warm. Return the onions and garlic to the pan and stir in the flour to soak up the juices, then add the paprika and give it a good stir. Next pour in the tomatoes and let it bubble until it has reduced and thickened. Add the pepper and cook until soft. Take off the heat, stir in the cream and bring off the heat once bubbling again. Serve the steaks on a plate with some of the sauce and put the rest of the sauce in a jug and serve with rice and a green veg.

Enjoy.

I cooked this recipe yesterday and I have to admit it was delicious. Venison is very well suited for that kind of combination of ingredients. I went MUCH heavier on the paprika though (I love the stuff)

Glad you enjoyed it mate, it is my favourite way to cook venison. Much much better than roasting etc !

Back