European Brown Bear

Greener Jim

Anyone know any reputable firms that can get me out after a brown bear? Romania seems the most likely place.
Just in the planning stage at the moment but want to get this done next year latest depending on prices and work.

I can put you in touch with someone from Romania or Croatia if you like, but doesn't come cheap...

Last season in Romania, Romsilva(Forestry Commision) charged 3500 euros for a trophy up to 350 CIC, 351-400 CIC 6000 euros, over 400 CIC 6000 euros plus 70 euros for every point over 400... And there are a lot of bears over 400 CIC.

Obviously not cheap but compared to the Â$14000 for Alaska its a bargain!
You know if this is usually walk and stalk, baited or with dogs?

You could make enquiries with Frank Ille of Basswood, he arranged a bear hunt in Croatia for a friend of mine but I cannot remember the price.

Those prices were for stalking and baited. Usually shooting from a high seat at a baiting station is the most common, as is the safest from all.
For driven broawn bear works a bit cheaper. Also there is a 1500 euros fee for wounding an animal and 275 for missing.(for stalking/baiting only)

Those prices were for stalking and baited. Usually shooting from a high seat at a baiting station is the most common, as is the safest from all.
For driven broawn bear works a bit cheaper. Also there is a 1500 euros fee for wounding an animal and 275 for missing.(for stalking/baiting only)

Driven as in to the gun or driven as in bayed/treed by dogs and then the hunter steps in to finish it off?

The first appeals, the second does not.

I can sort you out in croatia, we get great results but these guys put there homework in with trail cameras. As said bear is not cheap so make sure you look towards someone who WILL put the pre baiting and time in.

I'm home for two weeks from the weekend onwards mate. Me nana lives in Driffield so I may arrange to pop and see you for a brew if that's workable?

Hi Jim,
If you do contact Frank Ille, ask him about the Bear he arranged for Bernard, that was some trip.
I wrote an article about it with pictures and submitted it to a Sporting Magazine but it was never published because I mentioned an Agent that did not take out advertising space in the magazine, or so I was told.

Last edited:
That sounds about right! Yeah I'll definitely contact him mate.

I really want to go to Africa but anything on the Big 5 list is very expensive (obviously), even buff ain't as cheap as it once was. So I'm looking around to create my own big 5 and big bears have got to be on that list!

Sounds good t me. Ping me contact info if that's ok?

See if you can get a better deal, use the price i gave you as a reference, as those are the last season prices. I'll call my guy for dates and to check if any changes in fees, and i'll get back to you.

I worked with a romanian guy in the USA last year and he told me that the hunting is now all taken over by a kind of follow on mafia type organisation to copy the caucescu reign prices.
Never cheap, but all around the town of Brasov is where I would check out as they come into the town for waste bin rummaging every night.
Its on you tube.
Martin

Back