Skip dipping man cave construction!!

stratts

After robbing a third of my garage for my larder, it dawned on me that I needed more room for my shooting and gunsmithing stuff so I set about a nice little man cave!! Again, reclaiming most of the material from work skips like cutting down old fencing rails for the framework, one of the side panels from the french doors I robbed from the house while the Mrs was at work for a window, an old door that had a bit of peeling at the bottom so it couldn't be fitted and bits of mdf to clad the inside!! (Unfortunately I had to buy the shiplap!!)

I'm going to try a green roof rather than unsightly felt so will see how that goes and wack pictures up when it grows as so far it is just a layer of polythene, membrane, gravel and soil!!

The Mrs wasn't too impressed with the munty skull though!! :D

Trouble is now I've lost the decking I've got to lay some block paving for the patio furniture ready for the summer!! Flaming knock on effect from the larder just keeps giving me more jobs to do!! :doh:

Stratts

I like your gnome. I want a gnome in my garden but my wife hates them, she thinks they're horrible and tacky. Which is true, and that's perversely one of their attractions. My late uncle had a couple in his garden and I asked my cousin whether they were perhaps in a box in someone's garage, as I would be happy to offer them a new home with the justification that these specific gnomes have sentimental value. But it would seem that they were "disappeared" after my uncle left us.

Aahhh that's Fred that is. I saved him from the great fish pond in the sky a while back and he's been away with us in the camper to various weekends at VW events when I do an autojumble. Gnomes and Vdubs seem to go well together! :thumb:

We even have a gnome song we play on a loop that gets right in your head and draws the punters in to our stall!! :cuckoo::rofl:

Heck Stratts, many of us would give an arm and a leg to have a "Man Cave" like yours. You've done an excellent job but you have forgotten one very important thing to go with your Man Cave - The notice to go on the outside of the door reading "MEN ONLY BEYOND THIS POINT", it's not "sexist" just common sense!:tiphat:

p.s. That gnome would make a great target for checking your zeroing at 400 yards - You could even make a little white flat to put in his right hand!:stir:

looking good, but on the bit about the GREEN ROOF, looking at your first pic, you have a decent hanger fixed to the brick wall but no beams (4x2 or similar) going from the hanger to the opposite wall, assuming you have 1 inch ply for the roof and fixed all round, this will INITIALLY support the weight of the green roof but as soon as it starts getting damp /wet you could have the roof plus a lot of soil/gravel land around your head
hoping I am totally wrong about this and you have the required support, just dont to see you get yourself hurt

cheers
Ray

Stratts,

I have just got back into my man cave after three months, following an agreeiment to give up my space for temporary storage (two weeks max was the agreement!!!!). Never again.

Just come back into the house after spending a couple of enjoyable hours in the cave with my music on reloading.

Enjoy the cave, looks good.

ATB 243 Stalker

Thanks chaps the roof got some added 4x2" at 300mm centers so should be ok. I couldn't shoot old Fred the kids would never forgive me!!

Looks fantastic.
How come there is an animal skull hanging on that little shed.
Are you a hunter and have guns inside there?

Sorry to be a wet blanket, just the first thing I thought when I saw it.
Ask your wife if you can hang the munty in the bathroom near the towel rack:rofl:

No guns in there mate or anything of real value, just my tinkering bits n bobs and my gunsmithing bench. Oh and an old PC so I can browse the SD while I'm out there! All I need now is a little beer fridge and I can move out of the house!!

I echo Ray7756, once a green or Sedum roof gets moisture in the weight is massive, add to that a layer of snow in winter and it will, more than likely, land on your head. I've built commercial ones and the steelwork involved over a traditional roof is astonishing.

Back