Gaiters

jackfish

Looking for a decent pair of gaiters, I use a pair of Barbour ones at the minute, only when it is soaking wet though and find them far too noisy with the velcro at the front. I have been looking about and was wondering about the Black Islander ones. Anybody got any feedback on these and which ones to go for (deluxe or not).

Would appreciate any feedback.

ATB

Bryan

Last edited:
Hi Bryan

I can highly recommend the Black Islander gaiters , I have a deluxe pair myself and have had them for nearly 3 seasons now and no sign of wear and tear, they seem to be very robust. Although the Velcro is at the front they are silent when on and unlike some gaiters they are easy to put on.

regards

Hi Bryan

I can highly recommend the Black Islander gaiters , I have a deluxe pair myself and have had them for nearly 3 seasons now and no sign of wear and tear, they seem to be very robust. Although the Velcro is at the front they are silent when on and unlike some gaiters they are easy to put on.

regards

...as above :thumb:

I absolutely love the Kammo ones I have. They are falling apart now - but thats after ten times the use previous gaiters have lasted. Driving me crazy that after years of Kammo always 'being there', some sort of change has gone on and I can get no sense from their website or by phone - and no longer frequent the fairs they do attend - aaaargh!

Second choice would be the Genesis gaiters by Hillman - but note they are no longer listed and got even less help from UK distributor.

Both these are very quiet and the Kammo - despite being in tatters have only ever let in when I've been horizontal and bog snorkelling up in Caithness.

In fact, taking a liberty if JF will forgive me but if anyone has any Kammo gaiters in Green or Photostalk ( or whatever it was called ) in their large size - new or in useable used condition, please get in touch because there's a deal to be done!

Have a pair of BI's but in truth they are OTT for the stalking I have as a 'soft' Lowlander.

I also have a pair from Paramo which are tuff and look good with jeans but not much else as they only come in blue.

K

+1 for Kammo gaiters. Although I have never had the trouble getting them that Moray has had.

Hard wearing ad they are sort of a cotton material Over a waterproof liner so they are silent.

Moray - the last pair I bought was last year off their website, the pair before that was at the CLA game fait. I will be getting a new pair this year probably. If I do I'll let you know how!

Last edited:
+2 for Kammo gaiters . Just throw away the piece of shoe lace you get to go under the boot as its not required and you have a cracking pair of gaiters that will last a good few seasons . I am now on season 5 with mine and still going strong ;0)

+1 on the Black Islander ones thay are the dogs bits or ex army ones are a good bet but remember that are handed L/R
:tiphat:

Hi Bryan

regards

I have had Black Islander Gaiters are they are great but not for heavy duty, like beating. If you have to push through thorns you will rip them like I have mine.

I bought two pairs of Kammo gaiters about a year ago, I found some for sale on a web-site and bought them immediately. My old pair of Kammo's have been used to death. I have not found anything as durable as the Kammo, and I have tried lots over my 40 odd years of shooting.

​Simon

I love my Yeti's, not for everyone but i think there brilliant.

Got them on an old pair off boots i was going to throw out as leak and holes in them (but really comfy) that's me had another hard season out of them on both grouse and pheasants and good for a few more i'd say. And feet have stayed dry even with the holes in boots
I will add designed for stiffer soled alpine type boots, i superglued the toes onto my boots can't fualt them.

Seems to be a high following for both BI's and Kammo, will have to do a bit of searching I think see what comes up available!

Cheers lads, appreciate the feedback!

ATB

Bryan

i have had 2 pair of black islander gaiters @ £60 and both of them fell to bits after one season hill stalking, i now buy the trailwise ones with the front zip for £20 and i get at least a season out of them sometimes 2 highly recomend them for the money.

Got the black islander and have had 2 seasons out of them so far.

Poppers at the bottom have gone but thats an easy fix from an outdoors shop.

To be honest i haven't seen any that fit the bill better including the ones from walking shops?

Have Yetis as well but they only come out if it get really really bad!

plain green army ones for me had them 4 years now and still going strong ,tough as old boots . i got a pair of yetis when i first started stalking but looked like moon boots and got the **** ripped so they went in the cuboard till i gave them to DC on here ,atb wayne

Got a pair of Trekmates gortex gaiters from a place called Tamrack Outdoors - they are very good kit, quiet, easy to put on and sturdy enough straps for any terrain.

plain green army ones for me had them 4 years now and still going strong ,tough as old boots . i got a pair of yetis when i first started stalking but looked like moon boots and got the **** ripped so they went in the cuboard till i gave them to DC on here ,atb wayne

Are they the canvas ones? Don't you find them noisy?

they are canvas and have been fine but if you are tramping through heather then i think they could be but for the stalking i have been doing have been great, i can say that they will be no more noisier than yetis or similar ,atb wayne

Back