Re-Stocking, any recommendations

Essexsussex

Hi all

I have a Husqvarna 1900 (I think made by Zoli) and it is in new condition but with the cr4ppest looking stock I have ever seen. I'd like a new one made, to give me basically as good as a new zoli. can't seem to find any ready to fit stocks, even in the US where the Husky is a well renowned shooter.

Apparently the Sako Hunter stock can be inlet for one.

Anyway, any idea what my options are to give this gun a bit more style and class in the stock department? how much does it cost to get a nice-ish stock made?

thanks

ES

The Husky is a Mauser action, just a bit modified, so I am betting that a lot of the semi-inletted Mauser stocks will fit it. I will check its dimensions this weekend and see which of the stocks have a tight enough inletting so that you can do the final shaving with a chisel and rasp to get the Husky to fit just right, then put in a crossbolt, like for a Sako L61R, and some glass bedding in a few places.

US stock companies will inlet a style for you with a tight inlet, and oversize forend and butts so you can shape them to suit yourself. And there are modern styles like Biesen and Gowdy, and older ones like Griffin & Howe, Westley Richards, and Mauser Type A with the side panels.

Thanks all - southern, it's this image.jpgone, I think the same as the Carl gustav etc. any info would be well received thank you. How hard is it to inlet into one of those stocks?

Thanks all - southern, it's this View attachment 66291one, I think the same as the Carl gustav etc. any info would be well received thank you. How hard is it to inlet into one of those stocks?
They will come rough inletted so tight that nothing will quite fit.

You will have to just be careful, use some sharp chisels to shave off wood thinner than a playing card to get it even inside. Then, when it is still tight, back the action with a candle and slide it in to find the tight spots, and shave off paper thin spots. You can rasp out the barrel channel with a single round Surform tool and then sandpaper wrapped around a dowel. Just take your time, and always stop and check way sooner than you think you need to.

All of the exteriors will be about 95 percent there. Some will even put on a forend cap, buttplate or recoil pad, and checker it for you, so you only need to final inlet, a little glassing, and a you apply the finish of your choice.

Post some photos of stock styles you like, and I will look for some. I may even find a pull off Husky or Carl Gustave, as many times they are pulled off and a synthetic stock put on. I bought a nice walnut stock started for an L61R for $55.00. The wood blank would have cost $250.00. I am working on the inletting now, as time permits, so I can take photos of the process, and show you some simple tools, jigs and cradles I have made to hold the stock in different positions while you work on it.

Thanks southern - anything traditional with a nice grain really. Happy enough with the style of the existing stock but it's just not an attractive bit of timber., and it's quite nasty around the safety. I could put a neat cap on the fore end and a cap on the handle etc and darken the colour down I suppose.

Thanks Jagare - just trying to do a translation on an iPad seems quite tricky! Have emailed so will see what they say. Am also trying Zoli who manufacture the same action, have had some contact but nothing conclusive yet! Might still try staining and refinishing the boring stock that is with it.
ES

Back