outside my own permission

d foxxer

hello all i am so new that i have to ask this question i live in cornwall and if i wanted to book up some stalking any where else lets say gloustershire as i dont yet hold an open certificate can i take my own rifle or would i have to use one provided by the person i book with regards dave:-|

Depends on the conditions on your FAC. If it says use on land checked by the Chief Constable of the area, or something similar, you could ask the owner whether the land has been checked. If not you could ask for a mentoring condition. What calibre are you using?

hello mate thanks for getting back to me no caliber yet i fox with 223 but looking at getting 6.5x 55 for deer regards dave

Foxxer I would suggest if you apply for a deer Rifle you never ask for mentoring condition it can be too restrictive but police love it.
Ask for" Deer rifle for use on ----------- and other approved land where you have permission".
This will give you oppertunity to buy days,visit friends land and some generous experianced stalkers from this forum may take you out.If you put an explanation like this in a covering letter you stand a reasonable chance and it shows you have thought about it

roedeerred many thanks for that bit of advice will certainly word my application as you suggest thankyou best regards dave

Dave please let us all know how you get on it is quite interesting to learn which police forces follow HO guidelines.

yes no problem my app being posted this weekend will let you know how it goes ATB dave one question i would ask you is in your post to me about stalking days and invitations to stalk with poeple who may invite me my CF cert is not yet open i asked devon /cornwall a few weeks ago as i put in for a variation and if i could have an open cert they told me i must wait till i have my CF for 3 years and i have only had it nearly 2 and half so would i still be able to go stalking on somones invitation regards dave

Would the let stalking at a different location be accompanied? The reason I ask is that if you are accompanied by someone who has an open ticket, this lifts your restriction effectively.

This is what I got told when I had a restricted condition (Needed to be checked etc...)

TJ

Dave,

The condition on your FAC should read something like ".....the (calibre) rifle, sound moderator and ammunition shall be used for shooting deer and may also be used for fox and zeroing on ranges, or land deemed suitable by the Chief Officer of Police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot...."

This means that as long as the land where you are shooting has been cleared by the local constabulary for that calibre (or one above it), you can use your rifle (assuming you have permission!). Most professional stalkers will have their grounds cleared by the Police for this reason and you should feel able to ask the question. Equally, on an invite, I doubt very much people would mind being asked - it shows an understanding (and respect) of the law and covers them too. If you're at all unsure, borrow the rifle of the person concerned and the estate rifle clause comes in as you'll be in their company.

If the condition on your FAC reads something like "........the (calibre) rifle, sound moderator and ammunition shall be used for shooting deer and may also be used for fox and zeroing on ranges, or land over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot....", then that's what many will call an 'open' FAC, where the responsibility to decide whether the rifle is safe to use on a piece of land rests entirely with you.

Hope this helps you

E t R

BTW, there is no guidance as to how long you need to have an FAC before it is derestricted - that's just your FLO trying to fob you off. If you can prove the need for a derestricted FAC, then there's no reason why they shouldn't give you one.

Last edited:
Would the let stalking at a different location be accompanied? The reason I ask is that if you are accompanied by someone who has an open ticket, this lifts your restriction effectively.

This is what I got told when I had a restricted condition (Needed to be checked etc...)

Sorry TJ but it doesn't. The FAC status of anyone who might be accompanying the FAC holder is irrelevant in this case - it might of course be very important if there was one of those horrible 'mentoring' conditions though. ;)

If the condition contains the wording "..........land deemed suitable by the Chief Officer of Police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot", or something similar, then it means exactly that. Doesn't matter if the accompanying stalker has an open FAC, is a professional, or whatever. If the land isn't cleared for the calibre on the restricted territorial condition then he won't comply.

BTW. Once a FAC is opened up Devon & Cornwall will usually just insert a single simple condition covering all the firearms and ammo on the ticket for any number of different quarry species. It's then up to the holder to decide which firearm is suitable or legal for what he is intending to pull the trigger on. Makes life a bit easier being treated like an adult.

Sorry TJ but it doesn't. The FAC status of anyone who might be accompanying the FAC holder is irrelevant in this case - it might of course be very important if there was one of those horrible 'mentoring' conditions though. ;)

If the condition contains the wording "..........land deemed suitable by the Chief Officer of Police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot", or something similar, then it means exactly that. Doesn't matter if the accompanying stalker has an open FAC, is a professional, or whatever. If the land isn't cleared for the calibre on the restricted territorial condition then he won't comply.

BTW. Once a FAC is opened up Devon & Cornwall will usually just insert a single simple condition covering all the firearms and ammo on the ticket for any number of different quarry species. It's then up to the holder to decide which firearm is suitable or legal for what he is intending to pull the trigger on. Makes life a bit easier being treated like an adult.

Cheers for letting me know, not that it affects me now, but it could have :oops:. I was accompanied by open cert holders who were under the impression that this was perfectly acceptable as they had open certs, accompanying me....was to them as oh they were basically authorising the shot to be taken.

Every Day's a school day.

TJ

Back