Latest knife

David T

knife 11.JPGknife 6.JPGknife 10.JPGknife 7.JPGknife 9.JPGknife 8.JPGknife 4.JPGknife 3.JPGKnife 1.JPG

Latest creation from my garage. Polaris carbon steel blade, brass bolster, brass, red and black spacers, buffalo horn and stabilised box elder burl in burgundy. Hope you like it.

David

Cheers IF. I do make these to be used, my last one is being used daily by a local farmer. I do, however, know exactly what you mean !

Hiya
Thank you for sharing your skill - that is a beautiful piece of craftmanship.
Not sure I would want to use it on tour as risk of losing too great........
Cheers, L

David, wonderful knife. I am just starting to make a few myself and am making lots of mistakes. Would you mind if I p.m. you for your contact details to get some tips.
Cheers, Tusker.

David, wonderful knife. I am just starting to make a few myself and am making lots of mistakes. Would you mind if I p.m. you for your contact details to get some tips.
Cheers, Tusker.

Not been doing it myself for a long time but am delighted to share what I have learnt with anyone who wants to give it a go. Drop me a PM when you are ready.
David

is the middle wood buckeye burl whatever it is it is stunning. regards sbm

Hi mate
The middle section is Box Elder Burl dyed burgundy and stabilised to make it resistant to fluids. Different densities in the wood absorb and react to the dye differently giving you the effect. it looks fantastic in the sunlight, almost as if you can see into it.
David

Nicely done mate, good handful there.

Despite some fairly slippery looking polished materials, i bet you can maintain a nice grip on that eh? :)

Not been doing it myself for a long time but am delighted to share what I have learnt with anyone who wants to give it a go. Drop me a PM when you are ready.
David
Hi David, this is the knife i have just finished. It is a Cudeman blade and I have dressed it with Bog oak scales. I then finished it with Danish oil.
would you now take it to the buffer?.View attachment 39092View attachment 39093View attachment 39095
i am also making one with Desert Iron wood this is proving to be a challenge as it is as its name suggests bloody hard wood. My only tools are a power drill with a sander attachment and files and sandpaper. I do have access to a piller drill and a buffer.
Thanks for looking and feel free to critasize as I am desperate to learn more. Tusker

Hi David, this is the knife i have just finished. It is a Cudeman blade and I have dressed it with Bog oak scales. I then finished it with Danish oil.
would you now take it to the buffer?.View attachment 39092View attachment 39093View attachment 39095
i am also making one with Desert Iron wood this is proving to be a challenge as it is as its name suggests bloody hard wood. My only tools are a power drill with a sander attachment and files and sandpaper. I do have access to a piller drill and a buffer.
Thanks for looking and feel free to critasize as I am desperate to learn more. Tusker

With that Ironwood and the tools you have you've got your work cut out! Think i was 6 or 7 hours on this one:

IMG_0984_zps94b973ab.jpg

IMG_0993_zps8969e8d0.jpg

IMG_1001_zpsf0783077.jpg

IMG_1002_zps7ea26678.jpg

IMG_1003_zpsb6cf09a0.jpg

Well worth all the effort though! Keep at it and don't be tempted to try and rush.

Where in W.Sussex are you?

Back