Hunt the Hunters

ljs

Good evening Gents ,
with the recent TV programmes like lady lion hunters and the Cecil the lion Incident I have noticed on social media many people being tracked down and verbally attacked many African hunting associations, outfitters having nasty comments left, a few site members also have had disrespectful comments , behaviour and threats against them .Whilst I never publish images etc to attract attention (So never been targeted apart from the occasional non hunter whom I have to educate)
I know a lot of site members and our hunting community rely on images ,blogs and the internet for business livelihood and to let other interested parties see what we all have as a common interest in .

What are your thoughts? have you been a target or been affected ?
How do you see hunting in years to come ? what can we do apart from reporting abuse ?

Obviously not posting on f...book and Twit.. is a good start ,but many of our professionals will need this.
"The most basic right of wild animals is to lead a natural life in a natural environment according to the laws of nature. The destruction of natural habitats by modern man is the biggest threat to this basic animal right.
The hope is to unite the hunting fraternity, the non-hunting conservation groups, and the animal rightist movement in a common goal towards achieving practical conservation through rational debate..
Hunters do not merely hunt, they are also nature lovers"
Why should they be attacked ...........

Keep your head below the parapet. I would say if you are in the business and need to advertise, you have to be careful how it's done and perhaps suggest replies to adverts by email or PM. That way, anyone wanting to get publicity for their rants is thwarted.

The very reason why you don`t see photos on the SD of Stalkers and their Deer.
The www is a savage place if your photo gets in the wrong hands.
Where is hunting going?? ... a complete and total ban on hunting anything and everything .. maybe not in any of our lifetimes but it will happen.
Then when the country has been flooded with housing estates and the wildlife has nowhere to go but your garden, the railway line or the motorway they`ll then say `F**k .. we got that wrong, shouldn`t have built all that`

The biggest problem is that the people who hunt understand how nature works the none hunters do not understand that if you stop hunting/shooting the wildlife actually suffer and decline in numbers. Try telling an anti that an organized shoot will release perhaps 1000 birds and only 33% of those will be shot and the rest go to become wild birds or are prey for foxes stoats, weasels, birds of prey etc and if you stop releasing these birds the general predators will suffer.
In Scotland the anoraks have come to realize that if you do not control the deer there will be no more forests as all the young trees are being eaten by deer.
There seems to be little understanding about what is best for the wildlife even if some of it appears to be cruel at times.

Tony

The biggest problem is that the people who hunt understand how nature works the none hunters do not understand that if you stop hunting/shooting the wildlife actually suffer and decline in numbers. Try telling an anti that an organized shoot will release perhaps 1000 birds and only 33% of those will be shot and the rest go to become wild birds or are prey for foxes stoats, weasels, birds of prey etc and if you stop releasing these birds the general predators will suffer.
In Scotland the anoraks have come to realize that if you do not control the deer there will be no more forests as all the young trees are being eaten by deer.
There seems to be little understanding about what is best for the wildlife even if some of it appears to be cruel at times.

Tony
Spot on Tony, but unfortunately you simply can not educate some of the more hard line antis - Bill Oddie and Brian May to name just a few, and until those "higher profile" people start to see sense then Joe Public isn't going to take much notice.

Pedro sorry but I think you are taking the wrong attitude , keeping your head down and hooping it will go away will not save your sport.
If someone posts on a hunting forum web page , verbally attacking it, do you actually think, people looking for hunting will be put off.
If talking about hunting and fishing etc is the norm, the anti,s become the problem not the hunter, look at fox hunting, Boxing Day meets, lawn meets at pubs, no one is hiding, grow some and stand up for your sport.

Trouble is, there's absolutely no desire on behalf of the antis to find common ground or compromise. To their closed minds, hunting of any description is wrong and cruel and should be banned. And to hell with the consequences to wildlife as a result. That's not their problem though, is it?

I remember watching Kill It, Cook It, Eat It a while back. A group of folk were taken out and shown some rabbit control and one girl in particular was outraged. When asked how she proposed to control rabbit populations if her demand that shooting was banned, her response was: 'I dunno, let the scientists figure it out'. There's your problem right there. Ignorance, prejudice and stupidity. A dangerous combination

It can be turned in favor of hunting if you handle it well.

A good example of this was during the primaries in the USA. Liberal reporters were tipped off that the Trump sons and one of the wives were pheasant hunting, so they showed up to "ambush" them. All three were so polite and charming, and talked openly about how hunting helped farmers from Iowa to Africa maintain land for wildlife, that it boosted Trump. The ad hoc interview was not one of those replayed, as hit pieces are meant to be.

Also in the USA, most states have laws protecting hunters from harassment, and game from harassment. Antis who go into the woods making noise or throwing fireworks will be arrested for endangerment to wildlife and forests. That has put a quick end to it.

Wish we had the same support here. It took the ACPO long enough to grant powers to allow the police to force antis to remove their face-coverings. Too often we've seen instances of masked thugs running roughshod over the rights of ordinary people to engage on perfectly legal activities, and until now they've been able to do that very thing practically without restraint. I like to think a good few of them have been quietly ambushed and 'spoken to' by a few large lads behind a barn

Tough gig if it's your business because obviously you need to advertise and now social media is the king of this. U fortunately you just need to take the rough with the smooth. In the UK I guess hunting is alien to most whereas in places like Eastern Europe and USA it's their bread and butter so they are more chilled out.

Then again it's a very distinct line on most non hunters eyes between shooting a pig and then a caged white lion which is invariably what gets banded about.

I think a lot of the UK problem is historic, because we never had a revolution like the french and other countries have. Hunting has been , or is perceived to be something for the privileged classes. The UK has been politically stable for so long that we forget that right across europe things have been much more fluid. So in france hunting is a working mans thing, the whole village may turn out for a pig hunt and share in the feast afterwards. Whereas here it is perceived as a rich mans sport, and so there is a large element of class war involved. I honestly think that if we had had a revolution like the french did and offed all the toffs 300 years later i.e. now we would be in a very different position..

You could start a revolution in hunting and attitudes by becoming evangelists for hunting.

Take boys and girls fishing and shooting, and hunting. Get involved with Scouting and any other groups.

There are plenty of people who never grew up outdoors, but want to take up hunting and fishing, but don't know how to start. I did not realize this for a long time, because I grew up on farms and ranches. Later, I met men in their 20s and 30s who wanted to get into hunting. They might be trying to decide on their first deer rifle, or how to find land for hunting, or a club to join, and how to learn the skills. So I invited them to come with me. They got into it, and moved on, and teamed up with others like themselves. Even if they don't hunt much, they will speak up for hunting among their circle of friends, who are totally unfamiliar and under the influence of a hostile and ignorant media.

When asked how she proposed to control rabbit populations if her demand that shooting was banned, her response was: 'I dunno, let the scientists figure it out'.

Wasn't it Spike Milligan who wrote:

"A baby rabbit
With eyes full of pus
Is the work of scientific Us."

Is this really what they'd rather see? Ignorance, prejudice and stupidity seem to over-ride common sense in these cases.

Wasn't it Spike Milligan who wrote:

"A baby rabbit
With eyes full of pus
Is the work of scientific Us."

Is this really what they'd rather see? Ignorance, prejudice and stupidity seem to over-ride common sense in these cases.

Well said. There's so much ignorance surrounding our way of life and the countryside in general. There are kids in the cities who quite honestly don't know where milk and eggs originate from.

Well said. There's so much ignorance surrounding our way of life and the countryside in general. There are kids in the cities who quite honestly don't know where milk and eggs originate from.
Now come on!! Everyone knows milk comes from a cow's nest,....... (Milk crate)

Some years ago (not many) I was a Secondary school teacher and worked with the County Outdoor Education Dept. as an instructor. We were granted funding to take a group of "at risk" teenagers through a personal development course over a number of months.
One of the activities we organised was a weekend wild camp during which we could deliver self-dependency and group co-operative skill sets. Believe you me, for a group of inner-city kids brought up on tv and Macdonalds that is an uphill struggle.
For the first evening meal we had planned to make a meat stew using fresh meat and veg (my boss and I were going to use rabbits that we had shot on-site, but ran out of time beforehand so we substituted best stewing steak from the butcher in the village nearby). We produced the ingredients and proceeded to show how the veg, etc. was prepared. At this point the revolution started. They wanted "proper food, not that s**t"
When we asked why they thought the food was so bad we were amazed to find that not one of those teenagers' parents cooked fresh food. It appears they all relied on takeaways.

And we wonder why there are so many people out there that do not understand what we do or why.

Back