Cost of Factory ammunition.

Brithunter

I know this was cheap and as he has a couple of boxes left I will go back in aweek or so and get it if it's still on the shelf :D but just picked up two boxes of the Federal Fusion 150 grain in 270 Winchester. Found it shot quite well in my rifle so and getting a few in. The cost was £15:40 per box. Wished it were cheaper but it's cheaper a lot I have seen for sale.

So what is the average price now for factory ammo?

I was going to buy a box of Norma 6.5x55 just to keep in my cabinet as i home load and they gun shop wanted 29.99p for 20 i decided to load more of my own. I was told that there were other ammo a lot dearer.:eek:

Bought a couple of boxes of Federal Fusion 130grain for the .270 about 6 months back £27.00 a box so i think you got a good deal on the ones you bought.

John

I do reload and have done so for years however as I stalk by the day and some seem reluctant about home loads I have to keep some factory on hand and at least one rifle zeroed for it. The trouble is now that the price of powder and bullets means that sometimes factory can work out the same or possibly cheaper. A good reason to swap the 30-06 for the .308.......less powder used. For example the last tub of Reloader 19 brought was £33. That's 120 reloads with the .270 add between £28-£33 par box of cup and core bullets the primers and it's adding up to around £70 per hundred. One reason I am seriously looking at cast bullet as an alternative fro a lot of my shooting now.

I have worked out handloads are now costing £60 - £80 per hundred depending on calibre, that is just the consumables, and ignores the cost of brass, reloading gear and time.

However, factory ammo has got out of sight this past couple of years. CF ammo used to run £12 - £20 per 20, depending on calibre. It is now £20 - £35 / 20. Mad.

My current reload for the .30-06.
Hornady BTSP £0.30
Viht N140 £0.22
Rem 91/2M £0.04

ie. 56p per round. The brass cost about 50p a case so add 5p per reload (assuming 10 reloads) cost is 61p a round. I hadn't done that sum for a while. Last I remember it was only about 38p. Even reloading's costing a fair bit more, over the last few years.

Tamus,

Nice calculation you've done there. Its interesting to see the cost per round. I think homeloading is going to be the next think for me to have a go at. I started off using Privi's at £11 per twenty and have recently bought some cheap Norma / Nosler and some Federals. The Feds and Normas were both over £20 a box.

Cheers,

Bob

My 120gr BT load with Re17 for the 260rem works out as follows:

Powder £0.19 - 35.6gr, or 195 charges per tub.
Bullet £0.42 - £21 per 50.
Primer £0.035.

Total £0.645.

Brass is resized Lapua 243 at £75/100, so at 10 reloads, that is another £0.075 per round, total cost £0.72 per round.

The 30/06 uses more powder, but bullets and brass are cheaper.

Factory 7x64 140/170grain ammo now £40 for Norma/R.W.S.
Home loading for me now I have a supply of good quality brass. I haven't done the maths yet but c.50grains powder at £46 for my last tub of H4350 and £28.50 for 50 N.B.Ts it's looking like about a £1/pop.
As a side note, my local gun shop dosn't price ammo and leave it on the shelf, rather they charge 'current catalogue replacement cost'. A little naughty or just common practise?

I do reload and have done so for years however as I stalk by the day and some seem reluctant about home loads I have to keep some factory on hand and at least one rifle zeroed for it.

Only once encountered the "homeload" reluctance thing. Cutting a long story short, I now always carry some of my ammo in proprietary (Norma) boxes if I'm going to shoot somewhere new. Is that naughty?

Last edited:
You guys just continue to illustrate how much we on this side of The Pond take for granted. OY!

Most of my reloads, if I avoid "premium" bullets, run between 50 cents and a dollar each. Factory ammo for hunting rounds runs between $15 and $30 per 20 as a general rule. However, "fad" chamberings like .45-70 Gov't can easily run $80 to $100 per 20. A pound of powder - other than Vihtavouri - runs about $22. "Regular" bullets run something on the order of $20 to $30 per 100 - "premiums" between $60 and $100 per hundred. Primers are about two cents a piece. Brass runs the gamut from $20 per 100 to $100 per 20 depending on manufacturer and cartridge.

You guys are probably better at making the conversion to Pounds than I am.

Paul

Back