Meindl boots - advice and thoughts

salopsniper

Folks I have just tried on the nicest most comfortable boot I've ever tried.
They were: Meindl matrei boots, they we're lovely and wide and so comfortable.
How ever Googling them some folk say they aren't very water proof despite being gortex and also having problems with Miendl customer service !

What are your thoughts on Meindl products and the customer service.

If I bought them they would be the most expensive boots I've ever had !

all help is much appreciated

Matt

How ever Googling them some folk say they aren't very water proof despite being gortex and also having problems with Miendl customer service !

Matt
Had mine 3years or more had dry feet all the time been in some bad weather when in scotland dry them off every time they are used and retreat great boots
DJC

Last edited:
I have had miendl Burma Pro's for 8 years now use them almost every saturday morning in all conditions and they are only just starting to let in water. I would certainly have another pair of these.

Give them a try had several pairs of meindl boots over the years, all have lasted well the longest lasting is 8yrs.

As above give them a try, I have the desert ones as I had them issued from when I was in the army,and agree with the comfort mine are just falling apart now had them since 2007 but some of the guys had them fall apart within a few months but I guess this could be down to the heat.

if your after good comfy pair of boots I would suggest Altbergs, best boots ever worn very light however mines don't have vibram soles so when it's wet it's like walking on a ice rink.

Mark

Matt

Matt. Very comfy boots. Good customer service. Not the most long lasting boot. I have 3 pairs in the house at the minute. If I was wearing the Dovre Extremes every day, I would run two pairs. Regards JCS

They get my vote every time.
Only had an issue once with a pair of their trainer/walking boot styles. They were replaced under warranty with no questions asked.
I currently use there chainsaw boots for work, and they are very comfortable and lasting well.
I have had about 4 or 5 pairs of their boots up till now. They normally do me for two years being worn virtually every day.
They don't really get chance to dry out, and I am not the best at oiling them either. So hopefully that is some reflection on the quality.

Matt

You can ruin anything with neglect.... and if you get on ebay, you can find cheaper meindl's.... The bad reviews were prolly from a combination of both...
I'd love to have a pair but am just too hard on shoes so buy mostly Muck boots.... I just googled the boots you are talking about and could change my mind... Are they smooth leather or suede?

It sounds silly but I just want warm dry comfortable boots that will last and look after me, I wouldn't say they would have a had life at all.
The Matrei boot is gore-tex so I would like to think they would be water proof but I've never had goretex before. Mud and wet is going to be the most common elements they will be worn in so need to with stand that and the clean off after with a hose and brush !

It sounds silly but I just want warm dry comfortable boots that will last and look after me, I wouldn't say they would have a had life at all.
The Matrei boot is gore-tex so I would like to think they would be water proof but I've never had goretex before. Mud and wet is going to be the most common elements they will be worn in so need to with stand that and the clean off after with a hose and brush !

May want to have a look at MUCK boots.... sloppy mud is my problem also... I like the muck chore boots, but there are a couple other styles. You can get goretex in cheap boots also, nothing is perfect...

crack on then, I wear my meindl deserts in wet mud and walking through wet grass and never had an issue plus because there suede I just give them a brush with a wire brush.

No problem recommending meindl's had them for over 5 years and they have been through the mill and back. Washed down and waxed whenever I thought they needed it.

crack on then, I wear my meindl deserts in wet mud and walking through wet grass and never had an issue plus because there suede I just give them a brush with a wire brush.

how do you keep them from dryrot since they are suede? These muck boots are making me old.....

I wear meindl daily in mostly wet conditions. I find them comfortable, waterproof and normally get about a year out of them. I would recommend them

Last edited:
I believe that the Materi have been replaced with the Marran GTX
I ware these as an every day boot but although very comfortable I would say that they were a trekking boot and not a boot for stalking in the autumn or winter months due to lack of a rubber rand.
These are fantastically comfortable boots for every day ware.
I just took delivery of a second a pair today for Sunday best !!!

Try some 'used' Meindl boots from here - most likely to come in the original packaging and are brand new.
If they don't suit you not a lot of money is wasted.

I've used and abused Meindl Borneos (I think) for the last 7 years. Almost total neglect, I'm ashamed to say. The upper has finally begun to crack and I think the leather has shrunk as the toe box is now tight.

Interestingly, they are still waterproof.

I couldn't afford a Meindl replacement and picked up a pair of secondhand (but virtually new)pair of Goretex Karrimors; they already leak.

I should have stumped up for the quality instead of buying cheap, but twice.

Back