Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice on basic set of woodwork tools

advice on basic set of woodwork tools

I've just started taking a woodworking course. Really enjoying it - enormously satisfying.

I'd like to get a simple set of tools to be able to carry on at home.

I'd be very grateful if people could recommend what I would need as a basic kit, and perhaps where best to get them from.

Hi Mungo,

PM sent.

Murray's tool shop Edinburgh.
    Good stock,new and second hand.
    Good help and advice.
    Don't knock second hand tools,a lot of them are better quality than new,especially chisels.
    Well done for doing it,you will never regret it.

ps... a Black & Decker Workmate is a great investment.
    Interesting story attached to the workmate inventor, who died a Very rich man...

I think the patent agent who helped him was the same one who helped Ben and Dave patent the Theoben.
    Notta lotta people know Michael Caine probably never said.
    Last edited by private fraser; 19-02-2015 at 22:04.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

I thought Murray's closed down about a year ago?

Hope not.
    It closed the shop in Morrison street cos of the hopeless parking probably but I thought they still had a shop in South Clerk Street.
    It pains me to see the old and good things in Edinburgh disappearing.
    Long may the good pubs last.

ps... wife just found it on facethingy..Pitt Street near Leith Walk off Newhaven Road
    Last edited by private fraser; 20-02-2015 at 20:51.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Yes Murrays have moved down to Bonnington and now only do chip pies type tools - ie the sort of stuff you use a few times and throw away.

Does anybody know where in Edinburgh there is an antique shop that does lots of good old tools. Needing some brace bits and other bits and pieces.

Mungo - can give you some guidance on this when you have extricated yourself from the in-laws.

Tools depend on what wood you are working, from jewelry boxes to log cabins.

Tools from even very good companies come in several grades.
    Stanley Tool Works, out of Connecticutt, owns a lot of smaller firms now.
    Record makes excellent planes.

Example: Chisels
    Stanley chisels with the full tang and steel cap are very good.
    The ones up from there are expensive and not needed by most.

Tyzak handsaws are very good. And the old ones are just as good, if you can get them sharpened.

You need a good steel block plane to start, like a Stanley Sweetheart.
    If you are doing big wood, like tables and doors, you will need a two-handed plane. Again, nothing cheap or you will be unable to tell what is your skill problem and what is a tool problem.

Lufkin 6 foot beech wood folding rule.
    Quality T-Square with level and scribe - good lettering, stainless rule.
    Wood mallet for the chisels, proper hammers for the type of wood working, a small mallet for things like gun projects ( Stanley 57-594 ).

Quality hand brace and bits.
    Good set of screwdrivers, properly cut, slot and Philips.

As far as old tools go, my furniture maker father reckoned that you should not be afraid to buy a worn tool…it shows that the owner liked it and used it a lot, and there is a good chance you will too! His favourite makers for hand saws were Henry Disston, which he sharpened himself; his shooting and smoothing hand planes were Stanley/Bailey (Stanley bought Bailey for their plane design) for everyday and handmade Norris planes for Sundays. (William?) Addiss for chisels and gouges.

I have bought quite a bit of stuff from Axminster tools over the years they have a good selection of hand and power wood working tools, they have a good website/catalogue to drool over.

we is very lucky here our local car boot has a vintage tool stanley sureforms,bit augers and real resharpable chisels etc are available.being oldish ive got various british made tools from back in the dad used to service the green goddesses in our local ord depot and left me some very nice tools.blacksmoth pliers ,lucas wrenches etc.mungo get car booting and local auction houses u will be amazed whats available in job lots for buttons

Don't know what there are for catalogs and stores in the UK, but you can see the tools online at Rockler and Woodworkers Supply, Garrett Wade, Stanley Tool, Marble's. There is probably a big woodworking show annually somewhere. Fine Woodworking Magazine is a good read to find ads, etc.

I still have not only the Disston hollow ground crosscut hand saw and rip saw which I bought in 1972, but my father's Disston, the cabinet maker's saw he was given as a boy, and my grandfather's Disston. For reference, mine were $10 in 1972, to give a real gauge of currency devaluations.