Thread: The Ivory Debacle

The Ivory Debacle

This movie presents the Elephant situation in Zimbabwe in conjunction with conservation and the economy of local people.

The Elephant and the Pauper: The Ivory Debacle
    Hunted - England, Scotland, Poland, South Africa and Spain.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Although a little long, I think it is a very well made film.
    It has echoes of what is going on in Scotland with over population and habitat degradation.
    Why shouldn't people be able to decide what to do with the local wildlife? We do.
    Some of us make money from it or feed ourselves with it. When we then have a by product such as antlers we may sell them to whoever we choose.
    Just because it is an elephant does it make a difference? Sell it to the highest bidder, put the money back into the local community.
    They can police the poachers better as you are not going to let some kill your golden goose and get nothing in return.
    As was said, give the ownership of those animals to the locals. Show them how to sell to local PH's. Show them what they can achieve with the revenue from hunting.
    CITES needs a good kick up the ar$e and so do the American Wildlife and Fisheries. They are showing amazing short sightedness.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama