Sad Day

Herne

Just had to cull a fawn that I have watched since she was born last June.

She was born to a doe in the woods behind my house and I have watched both her and her twin brother grow since then.

She had been in good shape and with a recent signs of growth I thought all three would make it through this worst of winters.

I noticed she was missing from the family group early last Saturday morning, but saw her later after a bit of a search, although looking thin.

I got a call from a friend today saying there was a young fawn in his garden who wouldn't move even when closely approached. I went up and it was her.
She was emaciated, exhausted, wet and no doubt frozen.

Wished there was something more I could have done......:(

Thanks Finnbear,

I know, and I don't generally get too sentimental about it, I have seen this little family almost every day at some point, (and cursed them for munching everything edible in my garden) better to feel something rather than nothing.

On a positive note I later discovered after my recent reloading issues that I can clover leaf with 52grains of N160 driving a Nosler BT.

H

sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind herne.
Andy
i prefer this choice of phrase
"Better to be kind than cruel"
Herne
it is such a sad day when you hav to make such a choice
i did this very thing myself this Jan
it was an old Roe doe that i had watched grow from a fawn over 9 years ago
she had taken over the familly roots and took centre stage in the territory stakes
but this year her condition had changed and even lost a fawn
never done that before
it was a sad day that i had to make such a decision but it was the right one, as she was suffering

"If you can go stalking and feel no pain yourself when you take a life or wound an animal, then you are not fit for the purpose". Colin Elford, 'A Year in the Woods'.

Herne and Stone, you are both fine examples of the moral standing required of true stalkers. I feel your pain and applaud your actions.

Back