Thread: The Queen's Riddle

The Queen's Riddle

He asked her, “Your Majesty, how do you run such an efficient government? Are there any tips you can give me?”
    “Well,” said the Queen, “the most important thing is to surround yourself with intelligent people.”
    Obama frowned, and then asked, “But how do I know the people around are really intelligent?”
    The Queen took a sip of tea. “Oh, that’s easy; you just ask them to answer an intelligent riddle.”
    The Queen pushed a button on her intercom. “Please send David Cameron in here, would you?”
    Cameron walked into the room and said, “Yes, Your Majesty?”
    The Queen smiled and said, “Answer me this please, David. Your mother and father have a child. It is not your brother and it is not your sister.
    Who is it?”

Without pausing for a moment, Cameron answered, “That would be me.”
    “Yes! Very good,” said the Queen.

Obama went back home to ask Joe Biden the same question. “Joe, answer this for me. Your mother and your father have a child. It’s not your brother and it’s not your sister. Who is it?”
    “I’m not sure,” said Biden. “Let me get back to you on that one.” He went to his advisers and asked everyone, but none could give him an answer.

Finally, Biden ran in to Sarah Palin out eating one night. Biden asked, “Sarah, can you answer this for me? Your mother and father have a child and it’s not your brother or your sister. Who is it?”
    Sarah Palin answered right back, “That’s easy, it’s me!”
    Biden smiled, and said, “Thanks!” Then, he went back to speak with Obama.
    “Say, I did some research and I have the answer to that riddle. It’s Sarah Palin!”
    Obama got up, stomped over to Biden, and angrily yelled into his face, “No! You idiot! It’s David Cameron!”

I know nothing about American politics but Obama comes across as OK over here.
    Is that "incoming" I hear ... I'll get my tin hat.

Conversely, Reagan always came across as not quite "all there" but seemed to be regarded as quite a successful president.
    Clinton was easily dislikeable from the start but seemed to be able to charm people, strange.
    I remember my brother in nc being mad at the airport being "frozen" while air force 1 was there.
    Turned out Clinton was having a haircut or so it was said.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Yes, he held up all flights while he had the Secret Service bring some hair dresser he had heard of, out to Air Farce One, for a $600 haircut.

Obama recently topped that, by keeping a roomfull of foreign leaders waiting an hour past the meeting time, because he decided he wanted his chef to make him a sandwich.

Funny how power corrupts ordinary people so quickly and thoroughly, that they want to live lie rajahs.

If you had heard Reagan on his short radio program for years, or read the speeches, most of which he wrote himself, you would see that he was much more thoughtful and articulate than the media wants us to believe, as they rewrite history. He was successful as governor and President by surrounding himself with very competent people and delegating to them. The amazing thing was how, suddenly, and by word of mouth ( pre-Twitter text messages), over 1 million people lined the route from the airport to the grave after the funeral, when he was brought back home to be buried privately.

Reagan was not only an intelligent man but had common sense. Often commodities that don't go together.

Towards the end of his time in office, he did often come across as a bit of a bumbling idiot on occasions. He eventually died with Alzheimer's disease. I suspect, though not diagnosed, he had it for quite some time before. He left office in 1989 and was diagnosed in 1994. A despicable disease of which I have experience of (my father) which sees someone taken away painfully slowly yet physically still there. Looking back (with hindsight) I could see symptoms of the disease literally a decade or more before it became a serious issue.

l like the riddle.

mmmmm politics
    elections in UK May 2015,
    in USA 2016
    entering a year of uncertainty.

Many of our better presidents have not been well regarded outside the US, and conversely, our most unsuccessful have been well regarded elsewhere.

case in point is President Jimmy Carter. Clearly a competent man (nuclear sub officer, then governor of the state of Georgia), yet was utterly unable to rise to the demands of the job as President.

Reagan was a simple man with great talents. One of the things he could do was focus on the primary perceived problem, articulate that "the people", select a team of highly competent people, and then delegate the authority to allow them to work towards solving the problem. Our view in this country is that Maggie Thatcher was the same.

Clinton was an accomplished politician that was outstanding in his ability to read the electorate and stay one step ahead. He could broker nearly any deal, but it was evident that he had few strongly held beliefs of his own (other than he like women). I think he would have made a better ambassador than president, with his ability to find common ground with almost anyone.