Howa lrifles

SussexFallow

Hi All

I have just purchased a howa 1500 in 243 cal
Nice rifle but comparing it to my sako 308 a little heavy..
The weight seems to all be in the varmint barrel
Any ideas how i could lighten it maybe barrel fluting and if so anybody know a good company in the south

ATB Steve

Fluting an existing barrel seems to be a lot of cost for very little reward. I take it this rifle wears a Mod? The biggest contribution to weight and balance would be to cut the barrel back to 20" and re-thread and re-crown.

Yes mate have t8s on both rifles the sako being about 3" shorter seems to be about the same weight as the howa without mod

ATB Steve

I have the Howa 1500 in 243 with the pepperwood thumbhole and heavy barrel and have the same issue, in that it is not a light rifle, tho it does wear a predator mod which I think is lighter than the T8s I have on my others. I did consider having the barrel cut and re threaded, but wasnt sure of the effects that this would have

My buddy has a Howa, heavy sporter 24" barrel and the tan / brown thumbhole laminate stock. I really like it, but God, it needs the barrel chopping in a big way. He has a Jet Z on it, damn thing must be over 4 feet long.

Howa

I have a 308 Howa varmint, i save 1.3 lbs by removing the laminate stock and fitting one of Edis (brilliant stock) next stop is a barrel chop for mine, then i should have something i am happy with and can carry!!!:)

Here are a few photos of my heavy barrelled Howa, I had the barrel cut back to 20” the photos show it with three different moderators fitted, T8, A-Tec CCM and one of my own manufacture.
P1010235-1-1.jpg

PIC00419.jpg

PIC00148.jpg

It is a very accurate rifle which is capable of 0.25” groups, but to be honest it is not ideal for deerstalking with the exception of highseat use. The shorter barrel makes it better handling but does not take a great deal of the over all weight.:-|

ATB

Tahr

I have a 308 Howa varmint, i save 1.3 lbs by removing the laminate stock and fitting one of Edis (brilliant stock) next stop is a barrel chop for mine, then i should have something i am happy with and can carry!!!:)

Rooster, we'll make the same as your setup for a stalking friend of mine. He'll fit a 308 varmint barrel chopped at 20".
Same stock and look for a lighter moderator.
I think it's the right way, at least one still has a rifle that'll be usefull for a bit of target shooting if one wants.
edi

Another vote for one of Edis stocks, that would save a fair bit of weight.

ATB

Tahr

Back