Thread: fallow herd sizes

fallow herd sizes

Was out stalking fallow this morning unsuccessfuly.After i finished i just had a drive round to see where the fallow were and in on field not haalf a mile away there were near on 500 fallow.This is the most i have seen in one field but just wondered what sort of size groups other people see

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

Regularly see a herd of between 150 and 200 near Wantage and 75 near Oxford.

That would be a very big group for North Wales where maybe 20 - 25 would be as many as you would expect to see in one place.

Saw 50 between East Grinstead and Tunbridge Wells last weekend. Couple of very shootable bucks in the group and me with no rifle.................

I saw about 60 prickets & young males this morning all feeding together on a fodder beat heap in a stubble field, managed to bag a brace before they did the off.

The most I have ever seen is about 200 together on the same farm 2 seasons ago, but we pretty regularly get 30/50 in a group.

Regs Lee

The usual herd that is in this field is genrally just over 200 but there must be good grazing come through and a few groups have joined