Countryfile and The Daily Mail

Thanks Pedro, had not seen this article, good to see some well presented truth about the reality of the country side. May more follow. Many folk I know including me also just want the forecast. I wonder what the viewing figures would look like if they dropped the forecast from the programme. Tom

Last edited:
Yes, Pedro, thank you for that; a positively enlightened article from a paper that I would usually avoid.

I agree with the general sentiment about Countryfile which is generally an extremely sanitised view of what the urban classes view as rural life but I'd add Adam Henson's segments to the bits I watch. I notice that they keep him away from issues like badger culling which I'm guessing he'd be in favour of having lost many rare animals to TB.

I just wonder if there is in the media now the small shoots of depicting things in a more realistic way, rather than the ideal world where nothing ever falls ill or dies unless bad people shoot it type of media which prevails.

Whether we like it or not, the media in all it's forms mainly paints the picture of the countryside to the majority of our population who live in towns and cities. That's why it's bad to control badgers but okay to control animals that fall ill because of badgers. That's why it's okay to release and increase birds of prey populations to the extent that other bird species, even other birds of prey, are rapidly disappearing from our land.

I hope I'm not imagining it, but probably not a good idea to hold my breath.

Can't you just get the forecast elsewhere ( look it up online ) ? By viewing even that your adding to thier viewing figures ..... To be honest you couldn't pay me to watch countryfile got fed up of thier one sided reporting years ago

I agree with the general sentiment about Countryfile which is generally an extremely sanitised view of what the urban classes view as rural life but I'd add Adam Henson's segments to the bits I watch. I notice that they keep him away from issues like badger culling which I'm guessing he'd be in favour of having lost many rare animals to TB.

Adam is a mate of mine, at first he was allowed to cover the TB issue, he interviewed a local farmer who was forever locked down with reactors and they talked candidly about the need for a cull. Needless to say the subject was dropped like a hot potato as soon as the antis got involved.

The biggest problem with Countryfile is they gloss up the farming industry and don't show the real issues, despite Adam trying to push them.

It is annoying. They bend to the will of the antis because they are vocal and threatening, where the poor farmers whose animals are at risk have to keep quiet and do nothing for fear of reprisals, or denouncing the BBC. I really don't understand why killing badgers is bad but killing expensive livestock isn't.

Badgers look cute; it's as simple as that. At university I read a journal study which revealed a positive correlation between the size of an animal's eyes (compared to its face) and the amount of funding that research and conservation for these animals receive. The cuter they are the more important they are perceived to be. No one wants to save a slug from extinction!

Back