why?

After skinning a roe doe last night, I found 6 shot gun pellets in its rear end, just under the skin.
This is the second time I have found shot in deer in this area, why to people think it's exceptable to take pot shots at deer?

I found the very same on the rump of a roe doe a few years ago. The shot size only looked like 6 or 7.

regards Kev

Feck!n poachers, Do you ever report such matters happening to the police, cause how else are the powers that be going to allocate sufficient man hours for the them to keep more of an eye out for problems in the countryside? I think it's about time they started taking their cars or means of transport and the tools that they are using illegally and maybe this would deter others on going down the wrong path.

I found pellets under the skin of the heads of a number of Roe I shot in Hampshire a couple of years ago. I can only assume it was poachers or idiots......

I heard this used to be done on the continent to cause malformed heads to grow (by damaging the poor old deers knackers) because unusual heads are prized over there ?

Why does everyone think it's poachers, any poacher worth his salt has a good dog or a .22 rimfire off ticket.

Why does everyone think it's poachers, any poacher worth his salt has a good dog or a .22 rimfire off ticket.

It's hardly likely to be someone with a genuine interest in the land, either the landowner or stalker tasked with controlling the deer population, who both have the deer's interests in mind. Neither is it likely to be a recreational stalker, who would not be able to stalk legitimately without the correct firearm. I also doubt that it would be anyone else who might be wandering about legitimately with a shotgun, for example a rough shooter or game shooter or gamekeeper. I suppose it's remotely possible that someone might have accidentally shot a deer whilst shooting at something else. Not really very likely though.

That only really leaves someone who is there without permission who is shooting at deer with a shotgun with inappropriate ammunition. That'll be a poacher then.

poachers dont use shotguns especially twelve bores theyr to noisy and the object is to get something to eat or sell,most poachers would be quite capable of shooting a roe in the head or heart seein as how they can head shoot rabbits and hares at 50 or more yards,this poacher thing you all bang on about is total nonesense i know i was that man!!its more likeley someone who legitamately shoots the land who happens to have a rimefire with him who happens upon a deer and just cant resist.

I personally know of at least two estates where shotgun drives for muntjac still take place. The Police are well aware of it but both estates are untouchable for a number of reasons.

I have seen a roe buck and a fallow doe shot at as they ran through the line on driven pheasant days, on both occasions this drew a mighty cheer from the guns and much ribbing of the offending gun when, unsurprisingly, the animals didn't fall over. To be fair this was several years ago.

I too have skinned and butchered many deer that have shotgun pellets, .22lr bullets and, on one occasion, an air rifle pellet in them.

I'm afraid that those of you who choose to believe this is all done by 'poachers' with illegal firearms are kidding yourselves. Just the same as the headshot deer and shot up roadsigns, the vast majority of these incidents will be a result of people who have legitimate access or employment but choose to behave in an irresponsible manner. Sorry, but it's the truth.

Last edited:
Inclined to think the same.
Often referred to locally as "reindeer"; you need a shotgun because the deer are flying...and am not kidding!

I personally know of at least two estates where shotgun drives for muntjac still take place. The Police are well aware of it but both estates are untouchable for a number of reasons.

I have seen a roe buck and a fallow doe shot at as they ran through the line on driven pheasant days, on both occasions this drew a mighty cheer from the guns and much ribbing of the offending gun when, unsurprisingly, the animals didn't fall over. To be fair this was several years ago.

I too have skinned and butchered many deer that have shotgun pellets, .22lr bullets and, on one occasion, an air rifle pellet in them.

I'm afraid that those of you who choose to believe this is all done by 'poachers' with illegal firearms are kidding yourselves. Just the same as the headshot deer and shot up roadsigns, the vast majority of these incidents will be a result of people who have legitimate access or employment but choose to behave in an irresponsible manner. Sorry, but it's the truth.

Fair enough. Despicable. If you shoot at a deer and you know that you can't kill it, then that amounts to cruelty.

Shot a yearling doe a couple of weeks back on a bit of ground that as far as I'm aware, no one else has access to except a goose guide when the geese come in. No one round about shoots either. Was eating the last of the venison meatballs I'd made and chomped on something hard. Thought I had just overlooked a bit of bone but no it was a shotgun pellet! About No. 6 size from the look of it.

It got me thinking though, there was no indication of anything when I skinned the animal like a direct shot attempt (more pellet marks). We walk up the area for game in the season. Could this pellet have got lodged just in its neck while one of us was shooting a walked up pheasant/snipe/hare? Maybe a fluke pellet? No idea. First for me though.

No one else has permission to shoot anything in the field where I shot this doe.
I think I know who the poacher is and he should know better, he's a farmers son.
He has told me to my face that he's shot deer with a shotgun and sold them to the local kebab shop.
My high seat is not visible from the road, you would have to go into the field to see it, and he asked me if it was mine. He has a quad and a pick up, a shotgun on ticket, but no fac.
He has been know to send people I know, photos of dead deer via snapchat.

Does this deer only live in this field then, one thing I found about farmers and there family's and friends is they are close knit and blessed not to pxxs one off or you pxxs them all off

Back