.22 hornet or .22

If a trip up the M5 and a couple of junctions on the M4 isn't too much dauntsey guns have a new CZ and a new HW on the shelf.

Even better news it seems hornady are producing the 35gr V-max again so I'm a happy chap :lol:

Well suppose I could drop misses of at cribbs to shop and pop over to dauntsey gun shop to have a look, do you know the price tag of them?

Those groups sell me. I have heard a lot of good things from other owners of the CZ 527. I like the way it looks and feels like a scaled-down version of my 8x60S Mauser Sporting Rifle Type A, built about 1920. The ladder sight is like the one on my first-year Sako L61R.

When I was about 12 years old, one of my friends had grandparents who lived in town. They had made money before the Depression, and had one business which did well, so they were able to go hunting in the 1920s and on trips like to Africa in the 1930s. She had a Winchester Model 43, a Model 54, a Model 70. I think it was the M43 in .22 Hornet, and the 54 in 7x57. I was talking about how the crows had figured out the range of my .22 Marlin, so she hauled out the .22 Hornet with its Lyman target scope, and told me to see if I could reach them. After a little practice at 200 yards on the empty field at oil cans where they liked to mess with the sprouting corn, I soon had a chance to catch them out there and wounded one. The others came back before he died, and I got a second one. Before I had to return it, I knocked a lookout from the top of a pine tree at 150 yards.

So I think I have an place to fill in my gun rack.

I have owned a dozen + American made and European Hornets, custom or otherwise, fancy or plain, and none shot anywhere near as well as the CZ Hornets. I had, in fact, pretty much given up on the Hornet as a cartridge that had the curb appeal to a classicist like myself, but frustratingly mediocre accuracy. When I started hanging out with MarinePMI he took me out to shoot ground squirrels on the Mexican border and one time he dragged out his CZ American that he'd bought on Base. I remember him trying to point out the ground squirrel he was going to shoot and i couldn't see it. Eventually I picked it out of the alfalfa stubble: It was a chipmunk sized creature a good 200 yards away. It looked like a bobbing white dot. I was questioning the ability of a Hornet to deliver a bullet into such a tiny target at that distance when he fired. There was a 'pop' and the little varmint spun in the desert heat like a tiny Frisbee. I'm thinking, "Luck!", but he proceeded to repeat that kind of shot for the rest of the day. He is a very good rifleman which was obvious, but when questioned, he said his CZ was easily a half inch gun. I was amazed. I picked up a second hand CZ for my son about the time I fell into a good deal on an Anschutz. The Anny was beautiful but my son's CZ just drove tacks. The Anny on the other hand, was a 3/4 MOA gun no matter what I did, and the chamber was oversized, bloating the cases. (Anschutz told me that the rifles were not designed with handloaders in mind.) I finally sold the Anny for the $469 cost of a new CZ American. I have never looked back.

Since then, I have loaded for, or been a party to loading for: my own, my son's, The Marine's, and CZ Americans belonging to two local buddies of mine. All are half MOA and better. I believe they are the best bet in Hornets available today.~Muir

My son's first kill with his Hornet. A sunny December's day prairiedog at 188 yards.
AndysfirstprairiedogwithCZHornet-1.jpg%7E320x480

With that kind of consistent results among several rifles, it seems like CZ 527 is the first place to go for a .22 Hornet.... kind of like the owner feed back on the Tikka T3.

I just finished a jar of pickles. Might as well put a label on it, "CZ 527", and start dropping in money.

I have just recently picked up a CZ 527 Hornet. I have had no chance to shoot it yet, but I am hoping to change that on Thursday:)

Well suppose I could drop misses of at cribbs to shop and pop over to dauntsey gun shop to have a look, do you know the price tag of them?

£795.00 for the HW60J, 18" and I think screw cut, £749 for the CZ with 1" rings and 20" screw cut barrel.

Get chatting to Clinton and he'll often do something on price, if you're planning to load they carry a fair range of bullets and powders suitable for the hornet. Jason who works there loves his hornet and will be able to give OU advice on what will work load wise.

Dont know if you've been before but they're only 10 mins from the Chippenham junction on the M4

£795.00 for the HW60J, 18" and I think screw cut, £749 for the CZ with 1" rings and 20" screw cut barrel.

Get chatting to Clinton and he'll often do something on price, if you're planning to load they carry a fair range of bullets and powders suitable for the hornet. Jason who works there loves his hornet and will be able to give OU advice on what will work load wise.

Dont know if you've been before but they're only 10 mins from the Chippenham junction on the M4

Cheers boydy for the info

Back